What is the total energy of the universe?

In summary, scientists are still debating what the shape of the universe is. The leading theory at the moment is that it is flat. There is a debate over whether or not the universe is closed or open. Some scientists believe that the universe is finite but without boundaries, while others believe that it is flat.
physixer
I'm confused as to what scientists agree on, since I've read many answers. Is the total energy of the universe less than, equal to, or greater than zero?
Is the universe open, flat, or closed? (I'm not sure if this is the exact same question as the previous)
Is this a debate within the scientific community?

Space news on Phys.org
To the best of my knowledge, the leading cosmological theory is that of a closed universe that wraps back onto itself or "finite but without boundaries."

As far as we can tell, it's flat. The shape of the universe is determined by the density of the universe. Inflationary theory predicts a density close to the critical density, ie, it is very close to flat.

ETA: Locally speaking, of course.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
To the best of my knowledge, the leading cosmological theory is that of a closed universe that wraps back onto itself or "finite but without boundaries."

IIRC the accepted shape of the universe is flat, not closed.

I think the most popular theory right now is a flat, zero energy universe, though this has not proved and may not be provable.

The zero-energy universe hypothesis states that the total amount of energy in the universe is exactly zero. When the energy of the universe is considered from a pseudo-tensor point of view, zero values are obtained in the resulting calculations.[1] The amount of positive energy in the form of matter is exactly canceled out by the negative energy in the form of gravity.[2][3]

A gravitational field has negative energy. Matter has positive energy. The two values cancel out provided the universe is completely flat.[not in citation given] In that case the universe has zero energy and can theoretically last forever.[6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe

[I wouldn't bet my life on it! I have a suspicion that with 96% of energy and matter "dark", meaning of currently unknown type, we have a lot more to learn.]

1. What is the total energy of the universe?

The total energy of the universe is a complex concept that is still being studied and debated by scientists. It is a combination of all the energy in the universe, including matter, light, and dark energy.

2. How is the total energy of the universe calculated?

Scientists use a variety of methods to calculate the total energy of the universe, including measurements of cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies, and the effects of dark energy on the expansion of the universe.

3. Is the total energy of the universe constant?

No, the total energy of the universe is not constant. It is believed that the universe started with a specific amount of energy during the Big Bang, but since then, the universe has been expanding and changing, resulting in a constantly changing total energy.

4. What is the role of dark energy in the total energy of the universe?

Dark energy is believed to make up the majority of the total energy of the universe. It is a mysterious force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate, but its exact nature and role in the total energy of the universe are still not fully understood.

5. Can the total energy of the universe be measured?

Currently, scientists do not have a way to directly measure the total energy of the universe. However, through various calculations and observations, they are able to estimate the approximate value of the total energy and continue to refine their understanding of it.