What is the total energy of the universe?

• Thread starter physixer
  • Start date
I'm confused as to what scientists agree on, since I've read many answers. Is the total energy of the universe less than, equal to, or greater than zero?
Is the universe open, flat, or closed? (I'm not sure if this is the exact same question as the previous)
Is this a debate within the scientific community?

Answers and Replies

To the best of my knowledge, the leading cosmological theory is that of a closed universe that wraps back onto itself or "finite but without boundaries."

e.bar.goum
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
As far as we can tell, it's flat. The shape of the universe is determined by the density of the universe. Inflationary theory predicts a density close to the critical density, ie, it is very close to flat.

ETA: Locally speaking, of course.

To the best of my knowledge, the leading cosmological theory is that of a closed universe that wraps back onto itself or "finite but without boundaries."

IIRC the accepted shape of the universe is flat, not closed.

I think the most popular theory right now is a flat, zero energy universe, though this has not proved and may not be provable.

The zero-energy universe hypothesis states that the total amount of energy in the universe is exactly zero. When the energy of the universe is considered from a pseudo-tensor point of view, zero values are obtained in the resulting calculations.[1] The amount of positive energy in the form of matter is exactly canceled out by the negative energy in the form of gravity.[2][3]

A gravitational field has negative energy. Matter has positive energy. The two values cancel out provided the universe is completely flat.[not in citation given] In that case the universe has zero energy and can theoretically last forever.[6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe

[I wouldn't bet my life on it! I have a suspicion that with 96% of energy and matter "dark", meaning of currently unknown type, we have a lot more to learn.]