What is the unknown air resistance co-efficient of the balloon?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the air resistance coefficient of a balloon. The equations Fd = k*v^2 and Vt = √(m.g/k) are mentioned, with the variables v and k being unknown. The formula mg/v^2 = k is provided to find k, and the values of m, g, and v are given. The final result for k is 0.002596871681 when assuming v is in m/s.
luigihs
1. Calculate the air resistance co-efficient of the ballonI trying to do my best because I have this equations in my notes Fd = k . v^2 and its says the force of air resistance is proportional to the square of the velocity of the object.

So I only now v^2 I think is my terminal velocity that is 2.9584 , but I don't know K because is the air resistance coefficient, and I don't know the force drag ( Fd)

NOW I have this other equation For an object with mass m and air resistance coefficient k the terminal velocity is given by:

Vt = √(m.g/k)

and this I know Vt is 2.9584 , m is 2.3192g , and g is 9.8 but the only thing I don't know is K because is the air coefficient , and I can rearrange the equation like k = √(m.g/vT) ... but I not sure please help me out guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have to find "k":

mg = kv^2, when the object is in terminal velocity.
Rearrange we have mg/v^2 = k.

m = 2.3192 grams or 2.3192 x g ?

What is your problem actually?

physicsisgrea said:
If you have to find "k":

mg = kv^2, when the object is in terminal velocity.
Rearrange we have mg/v^2 = k.

m = 2.3192 grams or 2.3192 x g ?

What is your problem actually?

mg/v^2 = k

Ok so the balloon mass is 2.3192 grams , g = 9.8 m/s^2 right? , and v is that my terminal velocity or what velocity do I have to put ?

luigihs said:
mg/v^2 = k

Ok so the balloon mass is 2.3192 grams , g = 9.8 m/s^2 right? , and v is that my terminal velocity or what velocity do I have to put ?

luigihs said:
mg/v^2 = k

If you have find k, based on your equation "air drag = k times v^2",
k = mg/v^2 = 0.002596871681

Assume v is in m/s

Plug in the terminal velocity cause "air drag equals to mg" when it has the terminal velocity.

physicsisgrea said:
If you have find k, based on your equation "air drag = k times v^2",
k = mg/v^2 = 0.002596871681

Assume v is in m/s

Plug in the terminal velocity cause "air drag equals to mg" when it has the terminal velocity.

Where do you get that number sorry I am confused! :(

luigihs said:
Where do you get that number sorry I am confused! :(

put m = mass of the object
put g = 9.8 m/s^2
put v = terminal velocity

Related to What is the unknown air resistance co-efficient of the balloon?

What is air resistance co-efficient?

Air resistance co-efficient is a measure of the force that air exerts on an object as it moves through it. It is also known as drag or aerodynamic drag.

How is air resistance co-efficient calculated?

Air resistance co-efficient is calculated using the formula Cd = Fd / (0.5 * ρ * v^2 * A), where Cd is the co-efficient, Fd is the drag force, ρ is the air density, v is the velocity, and A is the frontal area of the object.

What factors affect air resistance co-efficient?

The air resistance co-efficient is affected by the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is moving, the density of the air, and the surface properties of the object.

How does air resistance co-efficient impact an object's motion?

Air resistance co-efficient can significantly impact an object's motion by slowing it down and reducing its acceleration. This is particularly important for objects like airplanes and cars where reducing air resistance is crucial for efficient and safe movement.

How is air resistance co-efficient used in scientific research?

Air resistance co-efficient is used in various scientific studies, such as in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics, to understand the behavior of objects moving through air. It is also used in engineering to design more aerodynamic and efficient vehicles and structures.