What is the unknown temperature in the fridge?

In summary, the problem is to find the ambient temperature in a refrigerator where a glass of milk is placed. The temperature of the milk changes with the equation T'(t)=-k(T-Y), where t is time and y is the ambient temperature. The temperature of the milk when it is put in the refrigerator at t=0 is 15 degrees celsius. After one hour, the temperature of the milk is 12 degrees. To determine the temperature of the fridge, the original ambient outside temperature is needed to calculate the constant k. Using this value of k and the time/temperature change, the temperature of the fridge can be determined. The same value of k can be used for both inside and outside the fridge as it represents the
monsmatglad

Homework Statement

First a glass of milk is put outside the refidgerator to heat, and its temperature changes from 6 degrees C to 13 C after two hours. When the temperature of the milk is 15 C the glass is put inside a refridgerator.
the problem is to find the ambient temperature in a refrigerator where you have the glass of milk. the temperature of the milk changes with the equation T'(t)=-k(T-Y) where t is time and y is the ambient temperature. the temperature of the milk when it is put in the refridgerator at t=0 is 15 degrees celsius. after one hour the temperature of the milk is 12 degrees. what is the temperature in the fridge?

Homework Equations

T'(t)=-k(T-Y)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have come as far as to determine the constants of T, but to me it seems like there is too little information to determine what the temperature of the fridge must be.

Mons

Physics news on Phys.org
so i think if you know the original ambient outside temp, you should be able to determine k, then using k & the time/temp change, you should be able to determine the temp of the fridge

so do you know the original outside temp?

i understand, but i wasn't sure when doing this myself if i was "allowed" to use the same value of k both inside and outside the fridge.

yes you can, the k value repesents the dynamics of the cup interacting with an ambient temperature, which applies both within & without the fridge

Related to What is the unknown temperature in the fridge?

1. What is Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling states that the rate of change of the temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between its own temperature and the temperature of its surroundings. This means that as the object's temperature gets closer to the surrounding temperature, the rate of cooling decreases.

2. What is the significance of Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling is important in understanding the process of heat transfer and how objects reach thermal equilibrium. It is also used in various scientific fields such as meteorology, engineering, and biology to model the cooling of different systems.

3. How is Newton's law of cooling applied in real-life situations?

Newton's law of cooling can be used to predict how quickly a hot beverage will cool down to a drinkable temperature or how long it will take for food to cool down to a safe storage temperature. It can also be applied to the cooling of buildings, electronics, and various industrial processes.

4. Are there any limitations to Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling assumes that the object being cooled has a uniform temperature throughout and that the surrounding temperature remains constant. In reality, these conditions may not always be true, leading to some limitations in the accuracy of the law's predictions.

5. How does Newton's law of cooling differ from Newton's law of heating?

Newton's law of cooling and Newton's law of heating are essentially the same, but with opposite signs. While Newton's law of cooling describes the cooling of an object, Newton's law of heating describes the heating of an object. Both laws follow the same principle that the rate of change of temperature is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.