What Is the Upper Limit for Hertzian Dipole Dimensions?

• Thread starter smileandbehappy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipole
In summary: At 1014 Hz, the wavelength is around 300 m.In summary, the Hertzian dipole is a short antenna compared to the wavelength of the radiation it emits. It describes 'short' radio antennas and the scattering of electromagnetic radiation by small particles.
smileandbehappy

Homework Statement

A Hertzian dipole is short compared with the wavelength of the radiation it emits. It describes ’short’ radio antennas and the scattering of electromagnetic radiation by small particles.

(a) Give an upper limit for the length of a Hertzian dipole antenna operating at 300 kHz and for the size of atmospheric particles that can be considered as Hertzian dipole scatterers at 1014 Hz.

Homework Equations

Well it says the dipole is short in comparision the the wavelength it emits... So: L << c/f ? But I'm not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

At 300Hz - L(upper limit) = 3*10^8/300*10^3 m (this seems obscenely big...)
Where am I going wrong? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if I copy what you typed in and google it, I get

upload_2015-5-18_19-50-6.png

which is big indeed, but probably not what you meant ?

BvU said:
Well, if I copy what you typed in and google it, I get

View attachment 83654

which is big indeed, but probably not what you meant ?

You are correct that is not what I meant... I missed out some brackets. Apologies for that. The calculation should have been: (3*10^8)/(300*10^3) = 1000m

So what am I doing wrong? 1km Hertzian Dipole is not normal in my limited experience.

As I expected, not what you meant :smile:. But 1 km isn't really obscene.

100 kHz is in the long wave part of the radio spectrum.
Here it says long wave radio is around 1 to 2 km in wavelength.
And here they even talk about 3 kHz !

And I've been able to get by without any experience with Hertzian dipoles :wink: (*).
All I remember is TV antennas on the roof were around .5 m for VHF and .3 m for UHF and that's a lot more than 3 kHz.

(*) However, thanks to you I now googled up an enormous amount of yagi, folded dipole etc. etc. know-how in a very short time !

BvU said:
As I expected, not what you meant :smile:. But 1 km isn't really obscene.

100 kHz is in the long wave part of the radio spectrum.
Here it says long wave radio is around 1 to 2 km in wavelength.
And here they even talk about 3 kHz !

And I've been able to get by without any experience with Hertzian dipoles :wink:.
All I remember is TV antennas on the roof were around .5 m for VHF and .3 m for UHF and that's a lot more than 3 kHz.

Maybe my answer isn't as ridiculous as it seems... Any idea about how I would go about answering the second part? It has to be related to Rayleigh scattering... But apart from that gem of knowledge I have absolutely no idea.

Hehe, no idea either. I like the 1014 Hz (as opposed to "around 1000 Hz"). Why that kind of precision ?
The corresponding wavelength is like 300 km.

Perhaps they meant 1014 Hz ?

(have to run now...) back later, perhaps.

[edit] Managed to google and by now I'm utterly convinced there is no 'perhaps' :smile:: they meant 0.1 PHz

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Upper Limit for Hertzian Dipole Dimensions?

What is a Hertzian Dipole?

A Hertzian Dipole is a theoretical model used in electromagnetics to represent an idealized antenna. It consists of two equal and opposite point charges separated by a small distance and oscillating at a specific frequency.

How does a Hertzian Dipole work?

A Hertzian Dipole works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic radiation. When the two point charges oscillate, they create a changing electric field, which in turn creates a magnetic field. These fields propagate away from the antenna and make up the electromagnetic wave.

What is the radiation pattern of a Hertzian Dipole?

The radiation pattern of a Hertzian Dipole is a toroidal shape, with the strongest radiation in the direction perpendicular to the axis of the antenna. It is symmetrical in the plane perpendicular to the axis, but has a null point along the axis itself.

What are the applications of a Hertzian Dipole?

A Hertzian Dipole is commonly used as a simplified model for antennas in various applications, such as radio broadcasting, wireless communication, and radar systems. It is also used in theoretical studies to understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

What are the limitations of a Hertzian Dipole?

While a Hertzian Dipole is a useful theoretical model, it has several limitations. It does not take into account the effects of real-world factors such as material properties, antenna size, and ground reflection. It also only works for certain frequencies and is not suitable for all types of antennas.