What is the upward force on the hot air balloon?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to force, acceleration, and mass. The first problem involves determining the mass of a fork given a force of 0.35N and an acceleration of 0.15m/s2. The second problem involves calculating the upward force on a hot air balloon with an acceleration of 1.10m/s2 and determining the mass of ballast needed to change the acceleration to zero. The conversation also includes a discussion on the use of the equation Fnet = Fa - Fg = ma to solve these problems.
emma3001
I have 2 problems that i can't do

You apply a force of 0.35N up to lift a fork. The resulting acceleration is 0.15m/s2 up. Determine the mass of the fork (the answer is 35g-why?)

A hot air balloon has acceleration of 1.10m/s2 down. The mass is 315kg.
What is the upward force on the system?
The balloonist wished to change acceleration to zero. Determine the mass of the ballast that must be discarded overboard (air resistance is neglected)

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
i thought that Fnet=Fa-Fg=ma so i said that Fa=0.35N and a=0.15m/s2.

Then Fg=mg so 0.35N=m(9.8)
m=0.036kg but the answer is 35g so do u have to subtract 9.8ms2 from the given a?
I drew a FBD but i still am confused as to how to do it.

fork problem

emma3001 said:
i thought that Fnet=Fa-Fg=ma so i said that Fa=0.35N and a=0.15m/s2.
This is correct.
Then Fg=mg
Also true. Here's how you combine them:
Fa - Fg = ma
Fa - mg = ma
Fa = mg + ma
Fa = m(g + a)

Continue and solve for m.

thank you very much-these concepts are hard to wrap my head around!

1. What causes the upward force on a hot air balloon?

The upward force on a hot air balloon is caused by the principle of buoyancy. When the balloon is filled with hot air, it becomes less dense than the surrounding air, causing it to rise.

2. How does the temperature of the air inside the balloon affect the upward force?

The temperature of the air inside the hot air balloon is directly related to the upward force. As the air inside the balloon is heated, it becomes less dense and causes the balloon to rise. If the temperature decreases, the balloon will start to descend.

3. Is the upward force on a hot air balloon affected by the weight of the balloon?

Yes, the weight of the balloon does have an effect on the upward force. The more weight the balloon has, the more hot air is needed to create enough buoyancy to lift it off the ground.

4. How does the size of the hot air balloon affect the upward force?

The size of the hot air balloon does have an impact on the upward force. A larger balloon will require more heat to create enough buoyancy to lift it off the ground compared to a smaller balloon.

5. Can the upward force on a hot air balloon be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind speed and direction can affect the upward force on a hot air balloon. Wind can push the balloon in different directions and impact the amount of heat needed to maintain the desired altitude.