What is the weight of a balloon filled with air?

In summary, the question discusses the weight of an empty balloon on a spring balance, which is denoted as w1. When the balloon is filled with air, the weight becomes w2. The weight of the air itself is denoted as w, but it is not measured by the spring balance. Due to the upward force exerted by the air on the balloon, the weight of the balloon with air (w2) is less than the weight of the balloon without air (w1) plus the weight of the air (w). Therefore, both a) and c) are correct. The wording of the question can be misleading and it is important to understand the difference between the weight measured by the spring balance and the actual gravitational
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The weight of an empty balloon on a spring balance is w1. The weight becomes w2 when the balloon is filled with air. Let the weight of the air itself be w. Neglect the thickness of the balloon when it is filled with air. Also neglect the difference in the densities of air inside and outside the balloon

a)w2=w1
b)w2=w1+w
c)w2<w1+w
d)w2>w1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my opinion it should be b). I have simply added the weights. But the correct answer is a) and c).

Physics news on Phys.org
The wording of the question is rather misleading. You have to realize that when it discusses the weights of the balloon (with and without air) it means something different from when it mentions the weight of the air itself.
For the balloon, both w1 and w2 refer to the reading you will get from the spring balance. The question ought to make clear this is in a surrounding of air, not in a vacuum. If you were to weigh the air the same way (maybe in some magical weightless sac), the spring balance would show zero, right? So when they say the air ways w, they don't mean as shown on the spring balance - they mean the actual force exerted on it by gravity.
Does that help?

haruspex said:
The wording of the question is rather misleading. You have to realize that when it discusses the weights of the balloon (with and without air) it means something different from when it mentions the weight of the air itself.
For the balloon, both w1 and w2 refer to the reading you will get from the spring balance. The question ought to make clear this is in a surrounding of air, not in a vacuum. If you were to weigh the air the same way (maybe in some magical weightless sac), the spring balance would show zero, right? So when they say the air ways w, they don't mean as shown on the spring balance - they mean the actual force exerted on it by gravity.
Does that help?

It is still unclear to me.

I hope you weren't thrown by this typo in my previous post:
"So when they say the air ways w"​
I meant, of course, "So when they say the air weighs w"

If I hang on object from a spring balance, and the spring shows a weight of X, I say the object weighs X, right? But that is not exactly equal to the force exerted on it by Earth's gravity. Why?

haruspex said:
I hope you weren't thrown by this typo in my previous post:
If I hang on object from a spring balance, and the spring shows a weight of X, I say the object weighs X, right? But that is not exactly equal to the force exerted on it by Earth's gravity. Why?

I did not know this earlier. Thanks for pointing out.

utkarshakash said:
I did not know this earlier. Thanks for pointing out.
But do you understand why it is not quite the same? (Hint: it's to do with the air.)

haruspex said:
But do you understand why it is not quite the same? (Hint: it's to do with the air.)

The air exerts an upward force on it.

utkarshakash said:
The air exerts an upward force on it.
Exactly. So the weights given for the balloon, w1 and w2, are as measured by the spring balance. But the weight given for the air, w, cannot be; it must be the actual gravitational pull. Can you see how that makes a) and c) right?

haruspex said:
Exactly. So the weights given for the balloon, w1 and w2, are as measured by the spring balance. But the weight given for the air, w, cannot be; it must be the actual gravitational pull. Can you see how that makes a) and c) right?

Yes. Thanks!

Related to What is the weight of a balloon filled with air?

What is the weight of a balloon?

The weight of a balloon varies depending on its size and material. On average, a latex balloon weighs around 2-3 grams, while a foil balloon can weigh 10-20 grams.

What factors contribute to the weight of a balloon?

The weight of a balloon is mainly determined by the type of material used, as well as the size and thickness of the balloon. The amount of air or helium inside the balloon can also affect its weight.

How does the weight of a balloon affect its flight?

The weight of a balloon plays a crucial role in its flight. A heavier balloon requires more helium or air to lift it, while a lighter balloon may rise too quickly and pop. The weight also affects the speed and direction of the balloon's movement.

Can the weight of a balloon be measured?

Yes, the weight of a balloon can be measured using a scale. However, it is essential to note that the weight may change as the balloon is filled with helium or air.

How does the weight of a balloon change over time?

The weight of a balloon can change over time due to various factors such as the type of material used and environmental conditions. For example, a latex balloon may lose weight as it deflates, while a foil balloon may retain its weight. Temperature and humidity can also affect the weight of a balloon.