What is the work done on a frustum?

In summary, In order to find the volume of the water layer at height x, the author first found the ratio of the linear sizes of the section at height x to the bottom and then found the area and mass of the layer of water. Finally, the author integrated the area from x=0 to x=5.
Pindrought
Okay so please bear with me. I'm dying here.

Here's a diagram of the situation I have.

ep8g.png
I set up the graph to be like so for what I would be rotating to get the volume. (Edit: I meant to put y = 2+1/5x)
d8eo.png

I'm really stuck here though. I know I need to pump the water to 11ft from it's current location so I could get the distance of the water from the top with (11-x) for where I'm integrating. I've searched up several of these types of problems and I'm having difficulty getting the work concept through my head of how to approach these.

Thanks so much for reading.(Tongueout)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Work done on a frustrum

Here is a thread regarding how to work a very similar problem, and perhaps it will give you some insights on how to work this one:

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/domenics-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-computing-work-empty-tank-8541.html

If you have any questions on how to apply that technique to this problem, please feel free to post. :D

Let's start by finding $c(x)$: the ratio of the linear size (e.g., the diameter if the container is round) of the section at height $x$ to the linear size of the bottom. This ratio is $1$ when $x=0$, and it is $4/2=2$ when $x=10$. It also changes linearly. Therefore, $c(x)=1+x/10$. Now, the ratio of the areas of similar figures is the square of the ratio of their linear sizes. Therefore, the ratio of the section's area at height $x$ to the area of the bottom is $c^2(x)$. Suppose the area of the bottom is $S$; then the area at height $x$ is $Sc^2(x)$.

Now find the volume of the layer of water of depth $dx$ at height $x$. Multiply it by water's density to find its mass. Multiply it by $g$ to find its weight. Multiply it by the distance it has to travel to find work. Finally, integrate this expression from $x=0$ to $x=5$.

I saw this problem in the book as well. Is this what Pindrought's integral should look like? \(\displaystyle \int^5_0 \pi * \frac{1}{5}((10 - c))^2 dx * 2000g\) ?

\(\displaystyle \int^5_0 \pi (2 + \frac{1}{5} x)^2 * (11 - x) * 2000 \, dx\)

I was thinking i'd set it up like this. Would someone mind just telling me if this is wrong so I can try again if it is?

Actually, now I'm getting this \(\displaystyle \int^{10}_0 \pi(\frac{1}{2}((10 - x))^2 - 2000g \, dx\)

anyone know the answer to this?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Let's start by finding $c(x)$: the ratio of the linear size (e.g., the diameter if the container is round) of the section at height $x$ to the linear size of the bottom. This ratio is $1$ when $x=0$, and it is $4/2=2$ when $x=10$. It also changes linearly. Therefore, $c(x)=1+x/10$. Now, the ratio of the areas of similar figures is the square of the ratio of their linear sizes. Therefore, the ratio of the section's area at height $x$ to the area of the bottom is $c^2(x)$. Suppose the area of the bottom is $S$; then the area at height $x$ is $Sc^2(x)$.

Now find the volume of the layer of water of depth $dx$ at height $x$. Multiply it by water's density to find its mass. Multiply it by $g$ to find its weight. Multiply it by the distance it has to travel to find work. Finally, integrate this expression from $x=0$ to $x=5$.

Am I misunderstanding or did you interpret it as my top radius was 2 and my bottom radius was 1?

It's supposed to be that my upper radius is 4 and my bottom radius is 2.

I would first look at slicing the contents of the tanks into thin disks, that is to slice perpendicularly to the axis of symmetry, where each point in the disk has the same gravitational potential energy. Now, we want to know the radius of an arbitrary disk, as a function of its distance from the bottom of the tank. We know that as we move away from the bottom of the tank, the radius of the tank increases linearly.

So, if we orient a $y$-axis through the axis of symmetry of the tank, and put the origin of this axis at the bottom of the tank, we know two points on this linear radius function:

\(\displaystyle (y,r)=(0,2),\,(10,4)\)

Now, knowing two points on a line, how do we go about finding the equation of the line?

MarkFL said:
I would first look at slicing the contents of the tanks into thin disks, that is to slice perpendicularly to the axis of symmetry, where each point in the disk has the same gravitational potential energy. Now, we want to know the radius of an arbitrary disk, as a function of its distance from the bottom of the tank. We know that as we move away from the bottom of the tank, the radius of the tank increases linearly.

So, if we orient a $y$-axis through the axis of symmetry of the tank, and put the origin of this axis at the bottom of the tank, we know two points on this linear radius function:

\(\displaystyle (y,r)=(0,2),\,(10,4)\)

Now, knowing two points on a line, how do we go about finding the equation of the line?
That's what I thought I did when I said y=2+(1/5)x which I plugged in for the radius. Still can't figure out where I'm messing up.

Someone has to say it, but it's frustum, not frustrum (Tongueout) (pedantic, perhaps, but will possibly save you some embarrassment later on)

Okay good, I am trying to build up one piece at a time, so we know exactly what we're doing before jumping to the integral. :D

So, we have:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{1}{5}y+2\)

So, we then move to the volume of the arbitrary disk. It is given by:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi r^2\,dy=\pi\left(\frac{1}{5}y+2 \right)\,dy=\frac{\pi}{25}(y+10)^2\,dy\)

Now, we want to find the weight of the slice. Let's let $\rho$ be the weight density of the fluid per unit volume. We know that density, weight $w$ and volume $V$ are related by:

\(\displaystyle \rho=\frac{w}{V}\therefore\,w=\rho V\)

And so the weight of the slice is:

\(\displaystyle w=\rho\,dV=\frac{\rho\pi}{25}(y+10)^2\,dy\)

Now, you want to use the face that the work required to raise the slice the required height is the product of the force (weight) and the distance $d$ over which it is lifted, which is:

\(\displaystyle d=11-y\)

And so the work required to lift the slice is:

\(\displaystyle dW=w\cdot d=\frac{\rho\pi}{25}(11-y)(y+10)^2\,dy\)

Now it is time to add up all the increments of work to get the total:

\(\displaystyle W=\frac{\rho\pi}{25}\int_0^5 (11-y)(y+10)^2\,dy\)

So now, you want to expand the integrand and then apply the FTOC. What do you find?

MarkFL said:
Okay good, I am trying to build up one piece at a time, so we know exactly what we're doing before jumping to the integral. :D

So, we have:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{1}{5}y+2\)

So, we then move to the volume of the arbitrary disk. It is given by:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi r^2\,dy=\pi\left(\frac{1}{5}y+2 \right)\,dy=\frac{\pi}{25}(y+10)^2\,dy\)

Now, we want to find the weight of the slice. Let's let $\rho$ be the weight density of the fluid per unit volume. We know that density, weight $w$ and volume $V$ are related by:

\(\displaystyle \rho=\frac{w}{V}\therefore\,w=\rho V\)

And so the weight of the slice is:

\(\displaystyle w=\rho\,dV=\frac{\rho\pi}{25}(y+10)^2\,dy\)

Now, you want to use the face that the work required to raise the slice the required height is the product of the force (weight) and the distance $d$ over which it is lifted, which is:

\(\displaystyle d=11-y\)

And so the work required to lift the slice is:

\(\displaystyle dW=w\cdot d=\frac{\rho\pi}{25}(11-y)(y+10)^2\,dy\)

Now it is time to add up all the increments of work to get the total:

\(\displaystyle W=\frac{\rho\pi}{25}\int_0^5 (11-y)(y+10)^2\,dy\)

So now, you want to expand the integrand and then apply the FTOC. What do you find?

Thanks for clearing that up. I only have a question about one thing that confuses me.

for density, \(\displaystyle \rho\), should it be just the density of water (62.5lb/ft^3) or should it be the density of water*gravity (62.5lb/ft^3)*32 ?

I would think it is just 62.5lb/ft^3, but before for some reason I had thought that it would be gravity*density which would have been 62.5*32 which is how I was getting the *2000

Thanks a lot for the help

You are correct, the density:

\(\displaystyle \rho=62.5\frac{\text{lb}}{\text{ft}^3}\)

is a weight density, since it is weight (lb) per unit volume (cu. ft.). :D

Related to What is the work done on a frustum?

1. What is a frustum?

A frustum is a geometric shape that resembles a cone with the top cut off. It is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a parallel top, and its sides are slanted.

2. How is work defined in relation to a frustum?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. In the case of a frustum, work is done when a force is applied to move the frustum a certain distance, such as lifting it or rolling it.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done on a frustum?

The amount of work done on a frustum is affected by the force applied to it, the distance it is moved, and the angle at which it is moved. If the force or distance is increased, more work is done. If the angle is increased, less work is done.

4. How is work calculated for a frustum?

The formula for calculating work done on a frustum is W = F x d x cosθ, where W is work, F is force, d is distance, and θ is the angle at which the frustum is moved. This is known as the work-energy theorem.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding work done on a frustum?

Understanding work done on a frustum can be useful in many real-world situations, such as calculating the amount of energy required to lift or move objects with a frustum shape, designing structures with frustum shapes, and understanding the mechanics of rolling objects like cylinders and cones. This knowledge is also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture.