Identifying Broken Connections on an Extensional Viscosity Measuring Instrument

• Thread starter watson.894
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the GPS receiver was wet and corroded and the water droplets were still on the ribbon cable.
watson.894
What is this component in the middle with the two broken connections? It is on an instrument for measuring extensional viscosity that is not working. It looks like a power amp and a wire wound resistor on the same board got real hot. Don't know if there is any relationship to the two broken connections pictured.

Attachments

• 01f2cf2b4a59ed483f3f1fe95455c324a3671683c4.jpg
    01f2cf2b4a59ed483f3f1fe95455c324a3671683c4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 390
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a fuse chip with four fuses, two of which have blown

Likes billy_joule
phinds said:
It's a fuse chip with four fuses, two of which have blown
Thank you very much! However, I am having a heck of a time finding similar parts on the internets. Do you have any suggestions on where to find it or how to search for it?

Regards,
Lucas

watson.894 said:
Thank you very much! However, I am having a heck of a time finding similar parts on the internets. Do you have any suggestions on where to find it or how to search for it?

Regards,
Lucas
Really? What did you try? Googling for "8-pin fuse chips" got a TON of hits

In an event, the fuses blew for a reason. If you replace them before fixing the cause, the new fuses will probably blow also.

phinds said:
Really? What did you try? Googling for "8-pin fuse chips" got a TON of hits
What Daz posted looked like an exact match. If it was a fuse, would the top blow off like that?

A Dil jumper was used as a low-cost alternative for a DIP switch. They were used for configuration settings that aren't expected to change after manufacture. You plug (or solder) the thing in and then punch or snip the straps as required.

Likes davenn, Averagesupernova and watson.894
very doubtful that it is a fuse.. it would be hard to make accurate current control in that structure
I believe that it t is a programable ( well one time) jumper block.
A cheaper version of a DIP switch

Likes Averagesupernova and watson.894
watson.894 said:
What Daz posted looked like an exact match. If it was a fuse, would the top blow off like that?
I assumed that it was topless so the fuses could be replaced, but it could be, as others have suggested, a jumper chip. If it IS a jumper chip then something REALLY drew too much current.EDIT: yeah, now that I look, I don't see any "topless" fuse chips so I guess it must be a jumper chip that really got overloaded.

Is it possible those two jumpers were cut at the factory when it was made?

Likes davenn
I would try tracing the circuit in that area. How thick are the PCB traces that connect to the jumpers?

CWatters said:
Is it possible those two jumpers were cut at the factory when it was made?
The plastic looks melted under the two broken links, so that suggests probably not.

Why would jumpers narrow down to a thin bottleneck shape like that? If I was going to make a fuse out of foil, a shape like that would be perfect. You could fine tune the amp rating of the fuse by how narrow the bottleneck is.

My guess is that it is something that is one time programmable.

phinds said:
EDIT: yeah, now that I look, I don't see any "topless" fuse chips so I guess it must be a jumper chip that really got overloaded.

no, specific jumpers are cut to provide a certain function
and when used in this fashion, jumpers can always be rejoined and other combinations cut

I have used this method often in PLL radio systems where I want to set the n=counter number to give the correct frequency

there are many other uses :smile:

Dave

Likes watson.894
davenn said:
no, specific jumpers are cut to provide a certain function
and when used in this fashion, jumpers can always be rejoined and other combinations cut

I have used this method often in PLL radio systems where I want to set the n=counter number to give the correct frequency

there are many other uses :smile:

Dave
Oh, it looked to me like a blown fuse. Guess you're right, though.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Oh, it looked to me like a blown fuse. Guess you're right, though.

a trap for young players :wink::-p ( tease, tease knowing you are my senior )

davenn said:
a trap for young players :wink::-p ( tease, tease knowing you are my senior )
What? I can't be more than 30 or 40 years older than you :smile:

hahaha --- one needs a sense of humour to survive this world
Thanks buddy :smile:

Friday is here and it's time to go home from the salt mine yipeee

here's part of one totally wrecked bit of gear I dealt with today ... $15,000 GPS receiver very wet and corroded
you can still see the water droplets on those ribbon cables

DSCF5965sm.JPG

Well, just remember that Friday is POETS day.

Piss
On
Everything,
Tomorrow's
Saturday

Likes davenn
I assumed they were programming jumpers and were opened with a hot soldering iron.

What is a component?

A component is a part or element of a larger system or structure. It can also refer to a device or part that performs a specific function within a larger system.

What are the common types of components?

The common types of components include mechanical components, electrical components, electronic components, and structural components.

How do components work?

Components work by interacting with other components in a system to perform a specific function. Each component has a unique purpose and contributes to the overall functionality of the system.

What is the importance of components in science?

Components are crucial in science as they allow for the creation of complex systems and structures. They also enable scientists to study and understand the functioning of various systems and processes.

What are some examples of components in science?

Examples of components in science include gears, resistors, capacitors, and bones. These components play a vital role in the functioning of machines, electrical circuits, and biological systems, respectively.