What is wrong with this method? (partial fractions)

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating the expression 1/((x+4)^2(x-3)) using partial fractions. The solution involves equating the integrand with a common denominator and solving for the coefficients A, B, and C. However, there is an error in the solution as the value for C should be -33/343 instead of -33/49.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

So I am trying to integrate the following. I believe I have to use partial fractions.

[itex]\frac{1}{(x+4)^{2}(x-3)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am trying to expand the above into something that I can integrate. So I equated the integrand with the following:

integrand = [itex]\frac{A}{(x-3)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{Bx+C}{(x^{2}+16+8x) <--just the expanded form of (x+4)^{2}}[/itex]

So by creating a common denominator you get

1= A(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+16+8x)+(Bx+C)(x-3)

By inputing x=3 first, I solve for A=1/49
Then by imputing x=0 I get C=-33/49
And then by imputing x=1 I get B=-45/49

So plugging that into the original, I get:

integrand = [itex]\frac{1}{49(x-3)}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{(45/49)x-(33/49)}{(x+4)(x+4)}[/itex]

When I check my answer by plugging a random value of x into the integrand, and then into the RHS, I find that they are not equal. Where did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why you multiplied out [itex](x+ 4)^2[/itex]. If you leave it as is, you have
[tex]\frac{1}{(x+4)^2(x-3)}= \frac{A}{x-3}+ \frac{Bx+ C}{(x+4)^2}[/tex]
Multiplying on both sides by [itex](x-3)(x+4)^2[/itex] we get
[tex]1= A(x+4)^2+ (Bx+ C)(x- 3)[/tex]

Now, you can take x= 3 and get [itex]1= A(7)^2[/itex] so A= 1/49 as you say.

If you let x= 0 you get [itex]1= 16A+ C(-7)[/itex] and knowing that A= 1/49, you get 7C= 16/49- 1= -33/49 so C= -33/343, not -33/49.

Finally, if you let x=-4, you get [itex]1= (-4B+ C)(-7)[/itex] and can solve for B.

OK Thanks for the help!

Related to What is wrong with this method? (partial fractions)

What is wrong with this method?

This question is a bit vague as it does not specify which method is being referred to. However, some common issues with methods in scientific research include inadequate sample size, biased data collection, and flawed experimental design.

Why do we need to identify what is wrong with a method?

Identifying flaws in a method allows for better understanding of the results and potential limitations. It also allows for improvements and adjustments to be made in future studies.

How can we identify what is wrong with a method?

One way to identify issues with a method is to carefully examine the steps and procedures used. This can involve reviewing previous research, consulting with other experts, and conducting a thorough analysis of the data.

What are some consequences of using a flawed method?

Using a flawed method can lead to inaccurate or misleading results, which can have serious consequences in fields such as medicine or environmental science. It can also waste time and resources, and damage the credibility of the researcher or institution.

Can a flawed method still produce useful results?

In some cases, a flawed method may still produce useful results. However, it is important to acknowledge and address the limitations of the method in order to accurately interpret the findings.