What kind of jobs can a physicist do outside of academia and research?

In summary, a physicist can do anything a non-physicist can do, but they may have to go through additional steps to get a job in that field.
symbolipoint said:
A few of the very best at a school, might have a job offer just before or upon graduating.
At physics or in general?
Anyway, this happens at engineering courses in my country.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grands said:
At physics or in general?
Anyway, this happens at engineering courses in my country.
Anything with a demand for talented intelligent people (in this general case, students who earn a degree in any field that companies want such people for).

Likes Grands
My son got his undergrad degree in physics, he did it because he wanted it, not because there was a plethora of high paying jobs looking for physics degrees. He wants to eventually get his masters in it, but unsure of which discipline to pursue.

In the meantime he got a good job for an engineering firm doing non destructive stress testing. Did he need his degree for this job? I don’t think so. Did it help him get the job? I’d venture most likely yes.

Last edited:
Likes Grands and symbolipoint
Glenstr said:
Did he need his degree for this job?
Are you sure that for that kind of job, in order to analyze the tests, there isn't necessary a physics degree?

Anyway, my aspiration is not to get a very high paid job, but just to find a job that is not teaching or researching.

I'm pretty sure he told me that the degree wasn't a prerequisite, but he felt the degree helped him get the job.

Likes Grands and symbolipoint
Grands said:
Are you sure that for that kind of job, in order to analyze the tests, there isn't necessary a physics degree?

Anyway, my aspiration is not to get a very high paid job, but just to find a job that is not teaching or researching.
Glenstr said:
I'm pretty sure he told me that the degree wasn't a prerequisite, but he felt the degree helped him get the job.
Like I said before or in other topics, someone with bachelors degree is very smart and is without any doubt, trainable; so this person can learn many things - some on his own, and some with training, and again, he IS TRAINABLE very much so. Maybe the education and previous activity dedicated to Physics helped him; but maybe some kind of Engineering education would have done just the same for making him trainable...

Likes Grands
Grands said:
Again, training requirements depend on the field of application. If you are testing critical components such as jet engines or gas pipes for field installation, there are requirements for training and certification. In other instances, there are not. And again, depends on the level of responsibility. Are you the engineer responsible for specifying the tests and signing off on the results, or are you the technician performing the tests, following the engineer's instructions?

Likes symbolipoint and Grands