What kind of a vector force field is this?

In summary, the force field described in the conversation is a non-conservative or "dissipative" force field. This means that the line integral through this force field is path dependent and can result in different answers for different paths between the same endpoints. This type of force field often describes situations where there is net energy loss or gain over one cycle of a cyclical system, such as in transformer hysteresis, thermodynamics, and other areas.
Keano16
What kind of a vector force field is this?

Just a general physics question:

I was given a force field vector a(x^2, 2xy, 0) where 'a' is a constant. When I performed a line integral from (0,0,0) to (1,0,0) to (1,1,0), I get 4a/3.

Doing it from (0,0,0) to (0,1,0) to (1,1,0) gives a/3.

From (0,0,0) to (1,1,0) gives a.

As you can see, they are related.

I was wondering what this kind of a force field is known as.. i think someone mentioned something like a "dissipative force field" but I'm not sure. Something along the lines of: if you do some work going in a straight line in one direction, you do the negative of that work when traveling in the opposite direction, giving an overall of 0 work done.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

If a line integral through force field is path independent, it is called a "conservative" force field. If it is path dependent (where you get different answers for different paths, but between the same endpoints), it is not conservative. I suppose I would call it a "non-conservative" force field. But there might be other names too.

non conservative force field is the term I know as well.

I am aware of the concepts of conservative and nonconservative forces, but my tutor said that there is a special name for this case. I remember him distinctly mentioning something along the lines of "dissipative".

Keano16 said:
I am aware of the concepts of conservative and nonconservative forces, but my tutor said that there is a special name for this case. I remember him distinctly mentioning something along the lines of "dissipative".

Yeah, that's probably as good of term as any.

You'll encounter these non-conservative ("dissipative," if you'd like) situations when dealing with transformer hysteresis (where the magnetic flux density of the core is not constant, but is dependent upon its previous state), lots of times in thermodynamics (where you have cyclical process, but which involves different sub-processes from getting from point a to b, than it does from getting from point b to a), and numerous other places.

These types of situations invariably describe situations where there is net energy loss, or net energy gain over one cycle of a cyclical system. They're useful in determining the efficiency of a practical power plant, magnetic transformer, heat-pump, etc.

1. What is a vector force field?

A vector force field is a mathematical representation of the forces present in a physical system. It describes the magnitude and direction of the forces at every point in space.

2. How is a vector force field different from a scalar force field?

A scalar force field only describes the magnitude of the forces at each point, while a vector force field describes both the magnitude and direction of the forces.

3. What are the applications of vector force fields?

Vector force fields are used in many branches of science and engineering, such as physics, engineering, and meteorology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields.

4. How is a vector force field represented mathematically?

A vector force field is represented using vector functions, where each component of the vector represents the force in a specific direction at a given point in space.

5. How is a vector force field visualized?

A vector force field can be visualized using vector field plots, where arrows are used to represent the magnitude and direction of the forces at different points in the field. Computer simulations and physical models can also be used to visualize vector force fields.