What kind of force would be needed to push the Moon into the Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of causing the moon to collide with the Earth through the application of force and the potential effects of this collision. It also touches on the idea of orbital resonances of other planets affecting the moon's orbit and the potential harm this could cause. The conversation concludes by noting the potential for harm without a direct collision, such as changes in tides and climate.
AJKing
I'm not very fluent in how astral bodies are affected be gravity yet, or else I'd punch some numbers myself.

But, what would be needed to knock the moon out of its current orbit and start it on an eventual collision course with the Earth? And what could (theoretically) cause this force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's not a force that you're concerned with. It depends how long you apply the force, in what direction you apply the force and how big the force is.

I'm wondering if a number of coincidental orbital resonances of venus, Mars and Jupiter with the moon could cause some harm.
As yet I can't find evidence on the internet whether someone has done the numbers...

F=MA

M=mass of moon.
A=change in velocity per second.

Thus, to push the moon into the earth, 1 Newton of force applied over nearly infinite time would yield nearly infinite acceleration.

The right question is how much energy would be required. Express this in Newton-meters per second.

V(i) = Start with orbital velocity of the moon
V(f) = 0 (stop the moon, it will fall gravitationally into the Earth).

... etc.

I like Serena said:
I'm wondering if a number of coincidental orbital resonances of venus, Mars and Jupiter with the moon could cause some harm.
As yet I can't find evidence on the internet whether someone has done the numbers...

I doubt it. At least on the time scale of several billion years. After all, the moon has been around almost as long as the Earth has and there hasn't been a collision yet! And in fact, the moon has been getting further away from the Earth as time passes.

Note that the Moon could cause substantial harm without colliding with the Earth. If it were knocked into a different orbit that got much closer to Earth, we'd experience much higher tides which could cause devastating flooding and big climate changes.

1. What is the current force keeping the Moon in its orbit around the Earth?

The Moon is kept in its orbit around the Earth by the force of gravity. This force is determined by the mass of both objects and the distance between them.

2. How much force would be needed to push the Moon into the Earth?

The exact amount of force needed to push the Moon into the Earth would depend on the velocity and direction of the push. However, it would require a significant amount of force as the Moon has a mass of 7.3 x 10^22 kg and is currently held in its orbit by the strong force of gravity.

3. Is it possible for the Moon to collide with the Earth?

Yes, it is possible for the Moon to collide with the Earth. This could happen if the Moon's orbit is disrupted or if there is a significant change in the Earth's gravitational pull on the Moon.

4. What would happen if the Moon collided with the Earth?

If the Moon were to collide with the Earth, it would have catastrophic consequences. The impact would be similar to a large asteroid hitting the Earth, causing massive destruction and potentially altering the Earth's orbit and rotation.

5. Can humans control the force of gravity to move celestial objects like the Moon?

Currently, humans do not have the technology or capability to control the force of gravity on a large scale. While gravitational forces can be manipulated on a small scale, the amount of force needed to move objects like the Moon is beyond our current capabilities.