What mistakes may be causing discrepancies in the solution for the force P?

In summary, a linkage kinetics problem involves analyzing the movement and interactions of linked objects in a system, and is typically solved using mathematical models and equations. It can be applied to a variety of systems, including biological, chemical, and physical systems, and has many real-world applications such as predicting enzyme behavior and designing new drugs. Some common challenges in solving linkage kinetics problems include accurately defining variables, dealing with non-linear relationships, and accounting for uncertainties.
Krappy

Homework Statement

The linkage ABD is formed by connecting two 8.05-lb bars and a collar of negligible weight. The motion of the linkage is controlled by the force applied to the collar. Knowing that a tthe instant shown the angular velocity and angular acceleration of bar B are zero and 10 rad/s2 counterclockwise, respectively, determine the force P.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5416/picxv.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum \tau = I\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\sum F = m a_G[/tex]
[tex]\vec a_G = \vec a_B + \vec a_{G/B}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering the vertical bar (1):
[tex]a_B = \alpha_1 L[/tex]
[tex]\tau = LF = I\alpha_1 \Rightarrow F = \frac{I\alpha_1}{L} = \frac{mL\alpha_1}{3}[/tex]

Now, the horizontal one (2):
[tex]a_{Gx} = a_B = \alpha_1 L[/tex]
[tex]P\cos \theta - F = ma_{Gx} = m \alpha_1 L \Leftrightarrow P \cos \theta = m\alpha_1 L (1 + 1/3) \Leftrightarrow P = \frac{4m \alpha_1 L}{3\cos \theta} [/tex]

I know this isn't correct (it doesn't match the solutions), but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Scientist

Dear Scientist,

Thank you for your response and attempt at solving the problem. However, there are a few mistakes in your solution that may be causing the discrepancy with the correct solution.

Firstly, in your calculation for the moment of inertia (I), you have not taken into account the fact that the two bars are connected at point B. This means that the moment of inertia should be calculated about the point B, rather than the center of mass of each bar. This will change the value of I and therefore affect your calculations for the force P.

Additionally, in your calculation for the horizontal bar (2), you have used the acceleration of bar 1 (a_B) instead of the acceleration of bar 2 (a_{Gx}). This will also affect the final result for the force P.

I suggest reviewing your calculations and making sure that you are using the correct values for I and a_{Gx}. Also, double check your trigonometric calculations when solving for the force P.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your solution.
Scientist

Related to What mistakes may be causing discrepancies in the solution for the force P?

1. What is a linkage kinetics problem?

A linkage kinetics problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves analyzing the movement and interactions of multiple linked objects in a system. This can include the study of chemical reactions, protein interactions, or molecular binding events.

2. How is a linkage kinetics problem solved?

A linkage kinetics problem is typically solved using mathematical models and equations, which take into account the relevant variables and parameters of the system. These models are then solved using numerical methods or computer simulations to predict the behavior of the system over time.

3. What types of systems can be studied using linkage kinetics?

Linkage kinetics can be applied to a wide range of systems, including biological, chemical, and physical systems. It is commonly used in fields such as biochemistry, pharmacology, and materials science to understand the behavior of complex systems.

4. What are some common challenges in solving linkage kinetics problems?

Some common challenges in solving linkage kinetics problems include accurately defining and measuring the relevant variables and parameters in the system, dealing with non-linear relationships and interactions, and accounting for uncertainties and errors in the data.

5. What are some real-world applications of linkage kinetics?

Linkage kinetics has many practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of enzymes in biochemical reactions, designing new drugs and therapies, and understanding the dynamics of complex biological systems. It is also used in industries such as food science, environmental science, and materials engineering to study and optimize processes and materials.