What Novel are You Reading? Holiday Read Recommendations?

In summary, four novels are being read during the holidays: Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury, and Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts. These novels are all classics and are recommended by the author. The author also recommends other science fiction and fantasy novels, such as 1984 by George Orwell, Dragon's Egg and Starquake by Robert L. Forward, and The Martian by Andy Weir.
Naomi
The holidays are upon us. With the holiday's comes time off work and school for many. What books are you reading during your spare time? Do you Have any Favorite holiday reads? Perhaps some guilty favorites?

Currently I am working on four novels:

1. The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
2. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
3. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
4. Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts (My guilty pleasure read. Shh... don't tell anyone I secretly enjoy chick lit!)

Likes Z_Lea7
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clark? If not, go and read it, its already late.
The Invincible by Stanislaw Lem and Nightfall by Isaac Asimov are great works too.

Likes Z_Lea7
It would be best if I don't tell you. :olduhh:
Besides, I'll never finish it because my oxygen generator can't keep up. :oldmad:

Asimov is on my list of authors to start familiarizing myself with. I am acquainted with Asimov's laws of robotics of course (they really push the ethics stuff in bioengineering...), but have yet to actually read any of his novels. I have not read Childhood's End. I really need to start brushing up on my science-fiction reading. Reading textbooks has really taken the desire to read for pleasure out of me. Have you read 1984? It's not exactly sci-fi but it's definitely a "mind warp-er" (to put it in polite terms). I didn't like it at first but when I finally read it it completely blew my world apart. It has altered the way I view most things in this world. It is now one of my all-time favorites.

Likes Z_Lea7
Danger said:
Besides, I'll never finish it because my oxygen generator can't keep up. :oldmad:
Oh! The mysterious intrigue! Dun Dun Dun...

Danger said:
Can't you read in mind?
Also I believe there are softwares that can actually read things for you. So you can have such a software and an ebook version of the thing you want to read.

Shyan said:
Can't you read in mind?
That's the way that I always read. I think that you missed the point of my statement. :biggrin:

Danger said:
That's the way that I always read. I think that you missed the point of my statement. :biggrin:
Well, something is in my mind now. Exciting things to "read"!

Naomi said:
Asimov is on my list of authors to start familiarizing myself with. I am acquainted with Asimov's laws of robotics of course (they really push the ethics stuff in bioengineering...), but have yet to actually read any of his novels. I have not read Childhood's End. I really need to start brushing up on my science-fiction reading. Reading textbooks has really taken the desire to read for pleasure out of me. Have you read 1984? It's not exactly sci-fi but it's definitely a "mind warp-er" (to put it in polite terms). I didn't like it at first but when I finally read it it completely blew my world apart. It has altered the way I view most things in this world. It is now one of my all-time favorites.
I haven't read any of George Orwell and, with no intention to lower his works or any similar one, these things aren't suited for me because such works actually mark the beginning of sci-fi(I guess!) and aren't that sci-fi. But Clarke, Asimov, etc. actually mark the golden age I think. I should confess I don't know that much and I just read a dozen(or maybe more) sci-fi novels some years ago and then didn't continue. But I should say you can find things that are really sci-fi, have great stories to tell and also have the potential to affect you. One more I can remember is Nemesis by Asimov. Or...god, I'm really bad in remembering things! Maybe tell you later.
The tetralogy Rama by Clarke is great too. Also Space odyssey which is again a tetralogy.
Don't forget short stories by each of these great writers too.

Last edited:
If you're into the the "hard" stuff (not the kind to which I previously alluded), try out "Dragon's Egg" and its sequel "Starquake" by Robert L. Forward. They're about life on a neutron star.

I just finished "The Martian" by AndyWeir and definitely give it two thumbs up if you're looking for an entertaining read.

The premise is that an astronaut from the third expedition to Mars is left for dead during a storm on the planet and he has to figure out how to survive. It kept me up reading far past my bedtime. I had just read Chris Hadfield's "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" prior to that (also recommended although not a novel), but the two books really jived well with each other.

Naomi said:
The holidays are upon us. With the holiday's comes time off work and school for many. What books are you reading during your spare time? Do you Have any Favorite holiday reads? Perhaps some guilty favorites?

Currently I am working on four novels:

1. The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
2. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
3. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
4. Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts (My guilty pleasure read. Shh... don't tell anyone I secretly enjoy chick lit!)
I'm reading Anna Karenina as well. It's a beautiful novel.However, I think my favorite read is Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

Naomi said:
1984 is definitely amazing. In terms of Asimov, you should read The End of Eternity.

I'm about to start "The Passage" by Justin Cronin

1. What is your favorite holiday read recommendation?

My favorite holiday read recommendation is "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. It's a classic tale that captures the spirit of the holiday season and has a heartwarming message that never gets old.

2. Can you recommend a book that is perfect for a cozy winter night?

I would highly recommend "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. It's a heartwarming story about family, love, and the importance of cherishing the little moments in life. It's the perfect read for a cozy winter night by the fireplace.

3. What novel would you suggest for someone who loves mystery and suspense?

If you enjoy mystery and suspense, I would recommend "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie. It's a classic whodunit that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.

4. Are there any holiday reads that are suitable for children?

One of my favorite holiday reads for children is "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" by Dr. Seuss. It's a fun and heartwarming story that teaches the true meaning of Christmas.

5. Is there a novel that combines elements of romance and holiday cheer?

"The Holiday" by T.M. Logan is a perfect combination of romance and holiday cheer. It's a heartwarming and uplifting story about finding love and forgiveness during the holiday season.

Back