What Role Does Optical Fiber Play in Fiber Lasers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
WhoWeAre
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about fiber lasers. I don't mean those used as transmitters on optical fiber systems; I mean lasers that contain optical fibers as components.

I know that it can be done, but I don't know what the structure is like. What part does the fiber play? Is it used as the resonance chamber, the lasing medium, or something else? If anyone could help me I would be very grateful.

Thank You
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I work with http://www.coherentinc.com/Lasers/index.cfm?fuseaction=show.page&id=868&loc=834" These lasers have Infrared pumping LEDs in a remote Power Supply. The Infrared beam is carried through Fiber optics to the Laser head itself. In the laser head the infrared energy is used to pump the YAG crystal.

I do not believe that a fiber optic cable could be used for the main cavity. Fiber optic cables are used to transport a optical signal, they are wire of optical systems.
 
Last edited by a moderator: