What stars/star systems can I see tonight?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary: I use it when I'm setting up my telescope to see what I should be able to seeIn summary, the person is looking for a website that can tell them what the sky looks like over their location and identify stars. Others suggest using astronomy apps for smartphones or tablets, such as Distant Suns or Stellarium. They also recommend checking out online resources like a planetarium simulation or doing a google search for "night sky online" or "planetarium online." The person expresses interest in trying these suggestions and thanks those who provided them.
leroyjenkens
I live in Florida, and I've been looking for a website that will tell me what the sky will look like over my location and what each star is, but I can't find it.
Anyone know if anything exists similar to what I'm describing? Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to get an astronomy app for your smart phone or tablet if you have one. If not then this is a great reason to get one. The app I use is Distan Suns and its keyed to device orientation so that I look up at the sky and aim my phone in that direction and it will tell me about the constellations, stars and Messier objects that I should be able to see.

There are several good apps beside Distant Suns all of varying capability so check the reviews and wait for others at PF to reply.

There's plenty! This one is nice clear and simple:
http://neave.com/planetarium/
but you might find something more to your tastes just by googling something like 'night sky online' or 'planetarium online'. Give it a try.

jedishrfu said:
Your best bet is to get an astronomy app for your smart phone or tablet if you have one. If not then this is a great reason to get one. The app I use is Distan Suns and its keyed to device orientation so that I look up at the sky and aim my phone in that direction and it will tell me about the constellations, stars and Messier objects that I should be able to see.

There are several good apps beside Distant Suns all of varying capability so check the reviews and wait for others at PF to reply.
I remember one year when I was observing galaxies with my astrophysics class, a few of the students had that app. I was amazed. And yes, that would be extremely useful if I had a smartphone. I plan to get a smartphone eventually, but don't have the money right now for one.
There's plenty! This one is nice clear and simple:
http://neave.com/planetarium/
but you might find something more to your tastes just by googling something like 'night sky online' or 'planetarium online'. Give it a try.
That's a really good one. I'm going to try to use that. I live in the city and in order for me to use the program, I need to be near my computer so I can go in and out of my house to check to make sure I'm seeing what I want to be seeing.
Thanks.

yup Stellarium is my fav

Related to What stars/star systems can I see tonight?

1. What is the best time to see stars and star systems?

The best time to see stars and star systems is usually during the night when the sky is dark and free from light pollution. However, it also depends on the specific location and time of year as certain stars and constellations are only visible during certain seasons.

2. How do I know which stars and star systems are visible tonight?

There are many resources available to help you determine which stars and star systems are visible on a given night. Some popular options include star gazing apps, online star charts, and astronomy websites. These resources can help you identify specific stars and constellations that are visible based on your location and the current date.

3. Can I see stars and star systems with the naked eye?

Yes, there are many stars and star systems that can be seen with the naked eye. However, some may require a telescope or binoculars for a clearer view. The visibility also depends on the darkness and clarity of the sky, as well as your location and the time of year.

4. Are there specific star systems that are easier to see than others?

Yes, there are some star systems that are easier to see than others. This is because they are either brighter or closer to Earth. For example, the Big Dipper and Orion's Belt are popular star systems that are easily visible in the night sky.

5. Is it possible to see stars and star systems from all over the world?

Yes, stars and star systems can be seen from all over the world. However, the specific stars and constellations visible may differ depending on your location and the time of year. For example, the Southern Cross is only visible in the Southern Hemisphere, while the North Star is only visible in the Northern Hemisphere.