Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What stars/star systems can I see tonight?

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1
    I live in Florida, and I've been looking for a website that will tell me what the sky will look like over my location and what each star is, but I can't find it.
    Anyone know if anything exists similar to what I'm describing? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Your best bet is to get an astronomy app for your smart phone or tablet if you have one. If not then this is a great reason to get one. The app I use is Distan Suns and its keyed to device orientation so that I look up at the sky and aim my phone in that direction and it will tell me about the constellations, stars and Messier objects that I should be able to see.

There are several good apps beside Distant Suns all of varying capability so check the reviews and wait for others at PF to reply.

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

There's plenty! This one is nice clear and simple:
    http://neave.com/planetarium/
    but you might find something more to your tastes just by googling something like 'night sky online' or 'planetarium online'. Give it a try.

5. Apr 24, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Stellarium is another for the PC

6. Apr 24, 2015 #5
    I remember one year when I was observing galaxies with my astrophysics class, a few of the students had that app. I was amazed. And yes, that would be extremely useful if I had a smartphone. I plan to get a smartphone eventually, but don't have the money right now for one.
    That's a really good one. I'm going to try to use that. I live in the city and in order for me to use the program, I need to be near my computer so I can go in and out of my house to check to make sure I'm seeing what I want to be seeing.
    Thanks.

7. Apr 24, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup Stellarium is my fav

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook