Coulomb: Understanding the Fundamental Unit of Electric Charge

• Thread starter Stripe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coulomb
In summary, a coulomb is the amount of charge carried past a point in a wire by a one-ampere current in one second. It is a standard against which we can compare the relative charges of difference objects. It has meaning in the sense that we can compare the relative charges from object to object.
Stripe
Ok not 100% if this is right place but it's not homework so...

What the hell is a coulomb I've looked everywhere and everything seems to be different.

So is it the charge on electrons?

Or is it a packet of electrons? 6 million million million electrons = coulomb?!??

Sorry if this seems dumb :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Yeah I've checked wiki but it seems to contradict other material I've read... how would you describe it?

The Coulomb is the SI unit of charge. It is just a standard against which we can compare the relative charges of difference objects; just like we might say this object has a mass of 1kg, and this object has a mass of 3kg, we could say one object has 1 coulomb (C) of charge, and another has 10C. It has meaning in the sense that we can compare the relative charges from object to object.

The official definition of the coulomb is, "the amount of charge carried past a point in a wire by a one-ampere current in one second."

Actually COULOMB was a famous scientist ! (maybe was a justice also he he he as long as one of his invention is known as COULOUMBs LAW . . . kidding!) the unit of charge is entitled with his name !
When you send 1A current though a conductor for 1 second then the amount of flow in any width of it is 1 COULOMB!

and ELECTRIC CURRENT means the FLOW OF ELECTRON!

q = I t
where q = charge
I = Electric Current
t = Time

and always q = n e
where, e = charge of electron
n = any full number

OK mate... the coulomb is a measure of electrons in the same way that a dozen is a measure of eggs.
When anyone refers to coulombs they are talking about a quantity of electrons.

If you buy a dozen eggs you know you are getting 12 eggs.
If you have 1 coulomb of of charges you have approx. 6.25 x 1018 charges.

In terms of electricity a coulomb is the number of electrons.

Ok so i THINK i have it i really appreciate all the replies guys :D i owe you all!

What is a coulomb?

A coulomb is a unit of electric charge, named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb. It is defined as the amount of electric charge that passes through a given point in an electric circuit in one second when the current is one ampere.

How is a coulomb measured?

A coulomb can be measured using an instrument called an ammeter, which measures the amount of electric current flowing through a circuit. It can also be calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by the time (in seconds) that the current flows.

What is the relationship between coulombs and electrons?

Coulombs and electrons are both units of electric charge. One coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons. In other words, one coulomb is the charge carried by 6.24 x 10^18 electrons moving through a circuit in one second.

How is a coulomb related to voltage and capacitance?

Coulombs are related to voltage and capacitance through the equation Q=CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. This equation shows that the amount of charge (in coulombs) stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance and voltage.

Why is the coulomb an important unit of measurement in electricity?

The coulomb is an important unit of measurement in electricity because it allows us to quantify and measure the amount of electric charge in a circuit. This is crucial for understanding and analyzing the behavior of electric circuits and devices, and for designing and engineering new technologies that rely on electricity.