1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do then?

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    I tried to solve this exponential inequation , but i can't do more:

5[tex]\sqrt[x]{64}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] 625

5*26/x>=625 dived by 5
    26/x>=125
    26/x>=53 and i have not idea what to do then

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Raise both sides to the x/6 power and obtain 2 >= 5^(3x/6). Then simplify and obtain
    2 >= 5^(x/2)

From there the steps no longer seem clear unless you know how to use rules of logarithms. Using base 2 or base 5 appear to offer no advantage, so take logarithms of both sides, base 10. (or base e if you prefer).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  4. Oct 4, 2008 #3
    but the answer sad that the result is:xE (0,3),so this don't need logarithms

5. Oct 4, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of that solution is wrong. x cannot reasonably be too close to 3. Did you try using logarithms and resorting to a graphing calculator? x should be small, maybe very small. Anybody else? I might check more thoroughly, later.

6. Oct 4, 2008 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe easiest to start from here,
    2^(6/x) >= 125
    and take logarithms by any base of both sides.

7. Oct 4, 2008 #6
    There is no way I know of to get an exact answer for x without using logarithms. You can plug into a graphing calculator to get an approximate answer, but why not use logarithms?

8. Oct 4, 2008 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I in fact solved the problem without using a graphing calculator; I also then posted the solution process but doing so was a violation of the rules of this forum so that post was deleted. Knowing about logarithms is truely necessary.

9. Oct 5, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

27= 128 so you must have 6/x slightly less than 7. that means that x is slightly less than 7/6, or close to 1.
    I don't know what you meant by "but the answer said that the result is:xE (0,3),so this don't need logarithms " since many numbers in that interval can only be written as logarithms!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?