What to do when language in a text gets rough

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker is having with understanding a math textbook and asks for recommendations for a clearer book. Some suggestions include comparing wording with another book, re-reading, practicing proofs, or seeking help from a professor. The conversation also mentions Arfken and Weber as a potential alternative textbook to try.
ice109
specifically a pure math book? I'm reading this textbook and sometimes it takes me so long to figure out what the theorem or something is actually saying. I can't tell whether parts of it are supposed or are conditions or if they're using some characteristic of another proven part of the concept.

:cry:

it's so annoying cause for about 12 pages i really liked this book due to its rigor now its rigor is killing me.

its this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521664020/?tag=pfamazon01-20

if anyone knows a book like this, that's develops all the concepts from scratch, but is clearer I would very much like to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do a varity of things:

1) Pick up a new book on the subject and compare wording.
2) Re-read.
3) Attempt to complete the proof before the text gives it to you (this is a skill that you should start working on anyway, because many of the graduate math texts I have used tend to assume you can prove the almost every theorem they give you without too much insight).
4) Ask a professor to assist you are stumped.

in particular since it is a math book u should tend to be more intutive than looking for proofs in the book once u satisfy urdelf with an example then probably u will fell lot better.

You've chosen an old book to look into. Try Arfken and Weber. The words are more common.

1. How can I handle offensive language in a text?

If you come across offensive language in a text, the first step is to stay calm and avoid reacting emotionally. Take a moment to assess the situation and the context in which the language is being used. From there, you can decide how to address it, whether it be by ignoring it, confronting the person who used the language, or reporting it to the appropriate authority.

2. Should I ignore offensive language in a text?

Ignoring offensive language in a text is a personal decision. However, it is important to consider the potential impact of ignoring it, as it may perpetuate harmful language and behaviors. It may also be worth considering the source of the language and whether or not it is a one-time occurrence or a pattern of behavior.

3. How can I confront someone about their use of offensive language in a text?

When confronting someone about their use of offensive language in a text, it is important to approach the situation calmly and respectfully. Explain to the person why their language is hurtful or inappropriate and give them a chance to respond. It may also be helpful to suggest alternative language they could use in the future.

4. Is it okay to report offensive language in a text?

If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe due to offensive language in a text, it is always okay to report it. This can be done to a teacher, supervisor, or other authority figure who can address the situation appropriately. Reporting offensive language can help create a safer and more inclusive environment for everyone.

5. How can I create a positive and respectful communication environment in texts?

To create a positive and respectful communication environment in texts, it is important to lead by example. Use inclusive and respectful language in your own texts and encourage others to do the same. If you witness offensive language being used, speak up and address it. By promoting a culture of respect and inclusivity, you can help foster positive communication in all forms of text-based communication.