1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What type of Accelrator is the LHC?

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am writing about Particle Accelerators

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I am writing an essay on particle accelerators, and I am trying to find out what type of accelerator the LHC actually is, but I cannot find anywhere that actually says what type it is.

Wikipedia says that is has several other accelerators used to get the particles up to speed before entering the LHC itself.

From what I can gather, the LHC is a circular Accelerator, which uses magnets to accelerate particles? - I could be wrong here. This would say to me that this is a betatron if I didn't know that betatrons are only used for electrons.

Any ideas would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

TFM

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

You'll need to do a bit more work than "uses magnets". You need to look at the various types of accelerators, understand their principles, and ideally be able to draw a diagram of one. Then look at the design of the LHC: it will look much more like one than the others.

4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    I believe the LHC is in the Synchrotron class of particle accelerators. From what I do know, the LHC varies both magnetic fields and frequency of the electric field.

You probably will need to double check this to confirm, as this is a bit outside my field, but hopefully it will steer you in the right direction.

5. Dec 30, 2008 #4

TFM

Well, so far, I have researched:

Linear Accelerators - Obvious Difference here
    Cyclotrons
    betatrons

Next on my list are

Synchrocyclotrons and isochronous cyclotrons
    Synchrotrons

Looking up synchrotrons, I see a resemblance. I should have properly looked up the last two properly before I jumped ahead to CERN :redface:. I thought I looked at synchrotrons, but obviously not.

Best to research and write about synchrotrons before the LHC, I think.

Thanks,

TFM

Edit: I looked up Synchrocyclotron, not synchrotron, which confused me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?