What type of Accelrator is the LHC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TFM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lhc Type
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
TFM
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am writing about Particle Accelerators

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I am writing an essay on particle accelerators, and I am trying to find out what type of accelerator the LHC actually is, but I cannot find anywhere that actually says what type it is.

Wikipedia says that is has several other accelerators used to get the particles up to speed before entering the LHC itself.

From what I can gather, the LHC is a circular Accelerator, which uses magnets to accelerate particles? - I could be wrong here. This would say to me that this is a betatron if I didn't know that betatrons are only used for electrons.

Any ideas would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

TFM
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to do a bit more work than "uses magnets". You need to look at the various types of accelerators, understand their principles, and ideally be able to draw a diagram of one. Then look at the design of the LHC: it will look much more like one than the others.
 
TFM said:

Homework Statement



I am writing about Particle Accelerators

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I am writing an essay on particle accelerators, and I am trying to find out what type of accelerator the LHC actually is, but I cannot find anywhere that actually says what type it is.

Wikipedia says that is has several other accelerators used to get the particles up to speed before entering the LHC itself.

From what I can gather, the LHC is a circular Accelerator, which uses magnets to accelerate particles? - I could be wrong here. This would say to me that this is a betatron if I didn't know that betatrons are only used for electrons.

Any ideas would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

TFM

I believe the LHC is in the Synchrotron class of particle accelerators. From what I do know, the LHC varies both magnetic fields and frequency of the electric field.

You probably will need to double check this to confirm, as this is a bit outside my field, but hopefully it will steer you in the right direction.
 
Well, so far, I have researched:

Linear Accelerators - Obvious Difference here
Cyclotrons
betatrons

Next on my list are

Synchrocyclotrons and isochronous cyclotrons
Synchrotrons

Looking up synchrotrons, I see a resemblance. I should have properly looked up the last two properly before I jumped ahead to CERN :redface:. I thought I looked at synchrotrons, but obviously not.

Best to research and write about synchrotrons before the LHC, I think.

Thanks,

TFM

Edit: I looked up Synchrocyclotron, not synchrotron, which confused me.