Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What valence tensor produced by the absolute derivative?

1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    Acting upon a vector say,
    so it is defined as:
    ##\frac{d}{d\lambda}V^{u}+\Gamma^{u}_{op}\frac{dx^{o}}{d\lambda}V^{p}=\frac{DV^{u}}{D\lambda}##

And this can also be written in terms of the covariant derivative, ##\bigtriangledown_{k}## by ##\frac{DV^{u}}{D\lambda}=\frac{d x^{k}}{d \lambda} \bigtriangledown_{k}V^{u}## [1]

So I know that the covariant derivaite takes a tensor of valance ##(p,q)## to ##(p,q+1)##

So using this and the fact that the RHS of [1] has a vector multiplied by a covariant derivative acting upon a vector I would conclude that it takes a ##(1,0)## to a ##(1,1)##. Is this correct?

However my textbook states '##\frac{DV^{a}}{Du}## transforms as a covariant vector, which I dont see,

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\nabla_k V^\mu## is a type (1,1) tensor, but in ##DV^\mu/D\lambda## it is contracted with the vector ##\dot x^k## and therefore becomes a (1,0) tensor.

4. Apr 17, 2015 #3
    Ahh I see thanks. And this is a contravariant not a covariant though? And typo in the book?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. Apr 17, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is contravariant. You can check this by checking the transformation properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook