What Is a Functional and How Can It Be Plotted?

• Thread starter moonman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, a functional is a function that maps a vector space to its underlying field. It can be represented as a linear functional or a function of a function. The most difficult type of analysis involving functionals is functional analysis. A functional y= constants cannot be defined without knowing the function y. Typically, a functional is used to fit a divergence in data and can be represented as a logarithmic function.
moonman
So far all I know is that a functional is a function that has a set of functions as its domain. So what does that mean?

I have a functional that looks like dy/dx = a bunch of constants.
What I'd like to know is how to take that and plot it. Can this be done?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean a linear functional? if you mean a linear functional, it is a mapping f from a vector space to its field such that

f(au+bv) = af(u) + bf(v).

the set of all linear functionals form a vector space called the dual space of V and has the same dimension of V. it's basis is called the dual basis.

if you mean some other kind of functional, then it is a function of a function. for example, in the "calculus of variations" the functional represents a function of a function and we want to find what form the second function must be so that the first function is a minimum or maximum. this function must satisfy the euler-lagrange equation

-d/dx(dy/df') + dy/df = 0,

which is a differential equation, so that the answer is the function we seek. (notice that y is a function of f, which itself is function of x, so y is a function of a function--a functional)

for example, the brachistochrone, problem: find the curve that minimizes the time spent for a particle to slide down the curve, the functional is the time which you want to minimize. it is a function of the curve (which is a function), you seek to find the curve so that the functional (the time) is minimum.

my daddy told me about the brachistochrone problem and the tautochrone problem last year. this is what i remember from him.

of the three types of analysis: real analysis, complex analysis, and functional analysis, I've been told that functional analysis is the most difficult. i'll dig into that textbook from my dad's library soon...

Last edited:
moonman said:
So far all I know is that a functional is a function that has a set of functions as its domain. So what does that mean?
It means that it has a set of functions as its domain. *shrug* If F is a functional, and f is an element of its domain, then F(f) is in the range of F.

I have a functional that looks like dy/dx = a bunch of constants.
What I'd like to know is how to take that and plot it. Can this be done?
I really can't figure out what you're describing: could you present it in more detail?

Sorry, there was a mistake with my original entry. The function is not a derivative. I'm working on a physics experiment, where the data has a divergence. In my research I found that there is a functional of the form y=constant that is commonly used to fit this sort of divergence. Supposedly it should look logrithmic.

My problem is that I have a functional y=constants, which is supposed to be plotted against my data. I just don't know what that means. How do you go from that equation to a logarith? If this isn't enough detail for you to help me, thanks anyways.

More generally, a "functional" is a function having a vector space as domain and the underlying field as range.

Of course, functions (with various conditions: continuous, differentiable, infinitely differentiable, integrable, etc.) form a vector space over the real (or complex) numbers and so a function that assigns a number to every such function is a functional. Examples would be [itex]\frac{df}{dx}(a)[/itex],the derivative of f at x= a (over the set of differentiable functions) or a definite integral such as [itex]\int_a^bf(x)dx[/itex] over the space of integrable functions.

However, in neither of those definitions can I make sense of "a functional y= constants" since I don't know what you mean by y.

1. What is a functional?

A functional is a mathematical concept that represents a relationship between two variables, where the value of one variable is determined by the value of the other variable. It is often denoted by the notation f(x), where x is the independent variable and f(x) is the dependent variable.

2. How can a functional be plotted?

A functional can be plotted by first choosing a range of values for the independent variable and then calculating the corresponding values for the dependent variable using the given functional. These values can then be plotted on a graph, with the independent variable on the x-axis and the dependent variable on the y-axis. Connecting the plotted points will result in a curve that represents the functional.

3. What is the purpose of plotting a functional?

Plotting a functional allows us to visualize the relationship between the two variables and better understand how they are related. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the functional over different ranges of the independent variable.

4. Can any functional be plotted?

Yes, any functional can be plotted as long as it follows the basic concept of a relationship between two variables. However, some functionals may be more complex and require more advanced techniques to plot accurately.

5. What are some common types of functionals?

Some common types of functionals include linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functionals. Each type has a unique shape and behavior when plotted, and they are often used to model real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.