Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's going on with the time?

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1

StatusX

Homework Helper

The times seem to be screwed up on this site lately. I've come pretty close to going to the hospital cause I think I'm having seizures when I post a message and five minutes later it says I posted it an hour ago. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are u in a fast moving object in the vecinity of a black hole?If not,then nothing's going wrong with "time"...

Daniel.

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3

StatusX

Homework Helper

never mind, it was the black hole thing. (actually, it gives GMT-5 when I'm not logged in and GMT-4 when I am)

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Glad you're still alive and not torn apart by mareic effects :smile:

Daniel.

6. Apr 10, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!!! Times have been changing back and forth for me too. By exactly one hour, and I'm always logged in. :confused:

Earlier a friend of mine showed up as being online and now it says they have not been online for two days???

7. Apr 10, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I seems as if the server isn't running ntpd. If it did, the service would check the time against the atomic clock and account for the recent day light savings.

8. Apr 10, 2005 #7
    I'll look into this.

9. Apr 10, 2005 #8

StatusX

Homework Helper

Yea, I was wrong, the problem is still happening when I stay logged in.

10. Apr 10, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't pay much attention to the time stamps, as long as they don't tell me I posted an hour later than it currently is (I was on another site that started doing that one day...the time stamps were all people's local times, so it appeared to me that the folks in Australia were posting in the future; it was just bizarre to look at :tongue2:), but if it's exactly one hour, could it be a daylight savings time issue?

11. Apr 10, 2005 #10
    hmm The time is spot on....can't remember what offset is measured in but i'm pretty sure it's msec....might be seconds, either way, subsecond accuracy.

12. Apr 10, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

StatusX, check if you have your user settings set to detect daylight savings time. In User CP, go to "edit options" and scroll down a ways. There's a setting for time zone and another option to automatically detect daylight savings time. You may need to change the setting there depending on whether or not you are using daylight savings time where you live and what your settings currently are.

13. Apr 12, 2005 #12

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a well known conjecture that time travel will generate paradoxes.
    So much for cosmic censorship theories. :rofl:

14. Apr 12, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's not happening anymore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?