What's going on with the time?

• Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure if it was a daylight savings time issue or if my computer just stopped doing it, but it stopped happening after I changed my user settings to detect daylight savings time.
StatusX
Homework Helper
The times seem to be screwed up on this site lately. I've come pretty close to going to the hospital cause I think I'm having seizures when I post a message and five minutes later it says I posted it an hour ago. Is anyone else having this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are u in a fast moving object in the vecinity of a black hole?If not,then nothing's going wrong with "time"...

Daniel.

never mind, it was the black hole thing. (actually, it gives GMT-5 when I'm not logged in and GMT-4 when I am)

Glad you're still alive and not torn apart by mareic effects :smile:

Daniel.

StatusX said:
The times seem to be screwed up on this site lately. I've come pretty close to going to the hospital cause I think I'm having seizures when I post a message and five minutes later it says I posted it an hour ago. Is anyone else having this problem?
Thank goodness I'm not the only one! Times have been changing back and forth for me too. By exactly one hour, and I'm always logged in. :confused:

Earlier a friend of mine showed up as being online and now it says they have not been online for two days?

I seems as if the server isn't running ntpd. If it did, the service would check the time against the atomic clock and account for the recent day light savings.

Yea, I was wrong, the problem is still happening when I stay logged in.

I don't pay much attention to the time stamps, as long as they don't tell me I posted an hour later than it currently is (I was on another site that started doing that one day...the time stamps were all people's local times, so it appeared to me that the folks in Australia were posting in the future; it was just bizarre to look at :tongue2:), but if it's exactly one hour, could it be a daylight savings time issue?

hmm The time is spot on...can't remember what offset is measured in but I'm pretty sure it's msec...might be seconds, either way, subsecond accuracy.

StatusX, check if you have your user settings set to detect daylight savings time. In User CP, go to "edit options" and scroll down a ways. There's a setting for time zone and another option to automatically detect daylight savings time. You may need to change the setting there depending on whether or not you are using daylight savings time where you live and what your settings currently are.

It is a well known conjecture that time travel will generate paradoxes.
So much for cosmic censorship theories. :rofl:

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmm The time is spot on...can't remember what offset is measured in but I'm pretty sure it's msec...might be seconds, either way, subsecond accuracy.
It's not happening anymore.

1. What is time?

Time is a fundamental concept in physics and is often defined as the progression of events from the past, through the present, and into the future. It is a measure of duration and is often represented by the ticking of a clock or the movement of objects.

2. Is time a physical quantity?

Yes, time is considered a physical quantity in the field of physics. It is often measured in units such as seconds, minutes, hours, and years. Time can also be affected by gravity, motion, and other physical forces.

3. How is time measured?

Time is measured using various instruments such as clocks, watches, and calendars. These instruments are designed to track the passage of time by counting the number of seconds, minutes, hours, or days that have passed since a specific event or starting point.

4. Can time be manipulated?

While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, manipulating time in the real world is currently not possible. However, certain physical phenomena such as gravitational time dilation and the theory of relativity suggest that time can be affected by various factors.

5. Is time constant?

In the classical view of time, it is considered to be constant and uniform. However, in the field of quantum mechanics, time is seen as a variable that can be affected by different factors. The concept of time is still an area of ongoing research and debate among scientists.