Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the difference?

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Say V is a vector space with base {e_i}, V* is it's dual with dual basis {e^i}. If someone says that [itex]T^i_{ \ j}[/itex] are the components of a tensor, then I know this means that the actual tensor is

[tex]\mathbf{T}=T^i_{ \ j}e_i\otimes e^j[/tex]

The order of the indices of the components of T indicates on which set is T acting. In this case, V* x V. Were the components [itex]T_j^{ \ i}[/itex], T would have acted on V x V*.

Now my question.

If [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is a function from vector spaces V to W of respective bases {[itex]e_i[/itex]} and {[itex]\tilde{e}_i[/itex]}, and if we define the components of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] as the numbers [itex]\Gamma_i^{ \ j}[/itex] such that

[tex]\Gamma(e_i)=\Gamma_i^{ \ j}\tilde{e}_j[/itex],

is there a meaning to the order of the indiced, or could I have just as well noted the coefficients as [itex]\Gamma^{j}_{ \ i}[/itex]???

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Hi, quasar987, have you looked at Geroch, Geometry of Physics or Nakayama, Geometry, Topology and Physics? These should answer your questions.

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Frankel? :smile:

5. Jan 21, 2007 #4
    Presumably, although Geroch's Mathematical Physics, if I recall correctly, also discusses this.

6. Jan 22, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nakahara, maybe ? :rolleyes:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?