What's the importance of the squared of the angular momentum?

In summary, the different components of ##J## don't commute, so there is no set of states that is a complete set of eigenstates for both ##J^2## and ##J##. Therefore, we use ##J^2## as it is easier to work with and can be diagonalised, while ##J## would have the square roots of its eigenvalues.
annaphys
In quantum mechanics one sees what J^2 can offer but why do we even consider looking at the eigenstates and eigenvalues of J^2 and a component of J, say J_z? Why don't we just use J?

Physics news on Phys.org
J is not a scalar.

So the only reason we use J^2 is because it's a scalar?

annaphys said:
why do we even consider looking at the eigenstates and eigenvalues of J^2 and a component of J, say J_z? Why don't we just use J?

Because the different components of ##J## don't commute. So there is no set of states that is a complete set of eigenstates for both ##J^2## and ##J##. The best we can do is to find a complete set of eigenstates for both ##J^2## and one of the three components of ##J##, usually defined to be ##J_z## (i.e., we define our ##z## axis to point along this component of ##J##).

Likes vanhees71 and annaphys
annaphys said:
So the only reason we use J^2 is because it's a scalar?
##J^2## is easier to work with because it's defined as ##J^2 = J_x^2 + J_y^2 + J_z^2##. You could try to work with ##J = \sqrt{J^2}## as the magnitude of total AM, but I suspect it would be more awkward to work with.

As ##J^2## can be diagonalised, then ##J## would have the square roots of all the diagonal entries. I think everything would work out, except that the eigenvalues of ##J## would be the square roots of the ones you get using ##J^2##. I'd say it's more convenience and convention.

Note that ##J## is not to be confused with ##\vec J = (J_x, J_y, J_z)##.

Likes annaphys and vanhees71

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

Why is the squared of the angular momentum important?

The squared of the angular momentum is important because it represents the magnitude of the angular momentum vector. This value is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant even as the object's rotational speed and direction change.

How is angular momentum related to conservation of energy?

Angular momentum is related to conservation of energy through the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This principle states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant, which also means that the total energy remains constant.

What are some real-world applications of angular momentum?

Angular momentum has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it is used in the design of vehicles and machinery that involve rotational motion, and it is also important in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.

How can angular momentum be calculated and measured?

Angular momentum can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. It can also be measured using various instruments such as a gyroscope or a rotational motion sensor.