1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When are unit vectors helpful?

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    When are unit vectors helpful?

It seems to me that it is simply a way to rewrite a given vector component, but with an extra, redundant letter (i, j, k).

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just one example is the unit normal to a surface: a vector (generally with i, j, and k components) perpendicular to a surface, pointing outward by convention. If you want to know the exit flux of a vector field from a region, for example, you just integrate the dot product of the field and the unit normal.

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

When you have forces on an object in the cartesian plane. It makes finding the resultant force about some point easier than taking forces and the angles and using components. Makes torque easier to get with [itex] \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/itex]

5. Sep 1, 2009 #4
    Thanks.

So, in other words, i, j, and k are simply labels given to values of Vx, Vy, and Vz to make it easier to keep track of them (i.e. not adding a Vx to a Vy) during calculations?

6. Sep 1, 2009 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

yes, basically you can think of it like that. Instead of dealing with horizontal and the vertical separately , you can do both without being confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook