Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When cigarettes come as kings

1. Jul 19, 2006 #1
    when cigarettes come as "kings"

Smokers, when cigarettes come as "kings", they are 80mm long right? When they come as 100s, they are 100mm...but is it actually more tobacco, or just a longer filter? Are 100s a better deal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2006 #2
    Well, that depends... Is having more tobacco a better deal because you get more for your money? Or is having a longer filter a better deal because you are admitting fewer toxic, carcinogenic chemicals into your body?

4. Jul 19, 2006 #3
    well is it better to kill yourself by taking a rusty dull knife and cutting open your chest, or jumping off a 10 story building and impacting the cement below?

5. Jul 19, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The king size cigarette has somewhat larger amount of tobacco in it, an extension of the tobacco-filled cylinder with appr. 5-10mm.

6. Jul 19, 2006 #5
    Go away.

[​IMG]

I didn't mean to be hostile or mean to you :rofl: sorry :uhh:

7. Jul 19, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Definitely by jumping off a building: It is completely painless.

8. Jul 19, 2006 #7
    have you tried it? :)

9. Jul 19, 2006 #8
    Come on people, not one post to answer the question?

Arildno, are you saying the smaller ones actually have more tobacco?

10. Jul 19, 2006 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sorry, mix-up on my part; I meant the 100's.

11. Jul 19, 2006 #10
    How much extra does your health insurance charge for smokers?

12. Jul 21, 2006 #11
    My god people, I work at a gas station and sell cigarettes everyday. I don't smoke, I just want to know more about my job, I don't neeed any lectures on health!

13. Jul 21, 2006 #12
    Agreed. Jumping off the bulding is the way to go.

14. Jul 21, 2006 #13

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Studies seem to show that smokers tend to die quickly if they get something from this.
    Saving all sorts of money on social security and long term medical care.
    They should get a discount.

15. Jul 22, 2006 #14
    Emphysema is not a quick death. My dad was completely bedridden for two years before he died. Five years before that he was constantly gasping for breath and was miserable. He was always saying he could quit smoking whenever he wanted to. He had to go cold turkey when he was no longer able to go buy them himself.

16. Jul 23, 2006 #15

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Quick is relative.
    IIRC the report said about 3 years for smokers and 10 years in the nursing home for non smokers.

Non smokers get Emphysema.
    Emphysema appears to have a strong genetic component.
    So you might want to be careful about any dusty environment.
    A lot of smokers never get anything.

But, I wasn't arguing that it was good for you.
    Just that I think they should get a discount.

Sorry for your loss.

17. Jul 24, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The filter lengths are almost the same. The 100s have more tobacco than the kings.

18. Jul 26, 2006 #17
    But what if you don't die right away when you fall? I mean suppose you hit something on your way down to decrease your velocity. You break most bones in your body when you bounce, but you don't actually die. That may be more painful than the knife

Which reminds me of something I heard about sky diving- you're supposed to grab the ground if your shoot doesn't open so you don't bounce. Appareently when you hit the ground every bone in your body breaks, and then when you bounce the 2nd hit jumbles your broken bones and slices up your internal organs killing you. Not sure if that's an urban legend, but something I heard.

But I digress..

19. Jul 26, 2006 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's got to be the most fantastic tripe I've heard in a long time.

20. Jul 26, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know about a genetic component (not disputing, just never looked into it to confirm or refute that). But, anecdotally, the only non-smokers I've known of to get emphysema where it couldn't be attributed to second-hand smoke exposure were indeed those working in dusty environments (feed mills where they're grinding grains and everything is coated in a fine dust...a lot of the people working in those don't bother wearing dust masks or respirators, and really should).

21. Jul 26, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would think that would be quite a feat, especially while all your bones are being broken.

Then again, it adds new meaning to the little plaque in my wife's family's house, "An Irishman has never had too much to drink as long as he can grasp one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the Earth." In other words, "Don't drink and jump out of airplanes"? :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?