When do I need to use virtual work in writing the equations of motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of motion for Lagrangian dynamics and the use of the principle of virtual work to find the non-conservative generalized forces in the presence of non-conservative forces. The equations of motion are given by \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}} and \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}} = F_{q}. The latter equation is used when non-conservative forces are present and the virtual work principle is used to find the non-cons
jhosamelly
I'm studying for our comprehensive exam . I just need to clarify something. So the equation of motion for lagrangian dynamics is [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}}[/itex]

However, in my notes there are example which uses the principle of virtual work wherein [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}}[/itex] = [itex]F_{q}[/itex]

Then we look for [itex]F_{q}[/itex] using virtual work.

However isn't [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}}[/itex] = 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can help you, but I don't want to answer without knowing what F sub q stands for just in case I make things worse. Can you specify what it represents please?

q is the generalized coordinate.

For example if I have r (radial distance) as generalized coordinate I'll have

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{r}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial {r}}[/itex] = [itex]F_{r}[/itex]

Virtual work is a powerful tool that is often used in the study of mechanics and dynamics. It allows us to analyze systems by considering the work done by virtual displacements, which are hypothetical displacements that do not actually occur in the system. This allows us to simplify complex systems and derive equations of motion without having to consider all possible real displacements.

In the context of writing equations of motion, virtual work is commonly used in Lagrangian dynamics. The equation you mentioned, \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}}, is known as the Lagrange's equation and is derived using the principle of virtual work. This principle states that the work done by the virtual displacements is equal to zero, which is why you see \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}} = 0 in your notes.

However, there are cases where we need to consider external forces acting on the system, which cannot be expressed solely in terms of the generalized coordinates and velocities. This is where the modified form of Lagrange's equation, \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_{i}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial {q}_{i}} = F_{q}, comes into play. Here, F_{q} represents the generalized forces acting on the system, and it is found using the principle of virtual work.

In summary, virtual work is a useful tool in writing equations of motion, especially in Lagrangian dynamics. It allows us to simplify complex systems and consider external forces in our analysis. It is important to understand when and how to use virtual work in order to accurately describe the dynamics of a system.

1. When should I use virtual work in writing equations of motion?

Virtual work is typically used when there are constraints on the motion of a system. This can include forces such as friction, tension, or other constraints that restrict the motion of the system.

2. What types of systems require the use of virtual work in writing equations of motion?

Virtual work is commonly used in mechanical systems, such as machines or structures, where there are constraints on the motion due to forces acting on the system. It can also be used in other types of systems, such as electrical or thermal systems, where there are constraints on the energy or power flows.

3. How does virtual work differ from actual work in writing equations of motion?

Virtual work is a theoretical concept that allows us to analyze the forces and motion of a system without actually physically performing the work. It involves considering the potential energy of the system and how it changes as the system moves, rather than the actual forces and work being done on the system.

4. Can virtual work be used in all types of equations of motion?

While virtual work is commonly used in classical mechanics, it can also be used in other types of equations of motion, such as those for electromagnetic or fluid systems. However, it may not always be necessary or useful to use virtual work in these types of equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using virtual work in writing equations of motion?

One limitation of using virtual work is that it assumes the system is in equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on the system are balanced. It also assumes that the constraints on the system are known, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, virtual work may not always be the most efficient or accurate method for solving equations of motion, and other methods may be more suitable depending on the specific system and problem at hand.