1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: When does lim a_n x^n exist?

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let an be a sequence of real numbers. For what values of x does lim anxn exist?

The attempt at a solution
    Let us suppose that lim anxn exist and is equal to b. What can we say about x? Hmm...there is a monotonic subsequence that converges to b, say [itex]a_{k_n}x^{k_n}[/itex]. If this is an increasing sequence, we have that

[tex]
    a_{k_n}x^{k_n} \le a_{k_{n+1}}x^{k_{n+1}}
    [/tex]

or equivalently

[tex]
    \frac{a_{k_n}}{a_{k_{n+1}}} \le x^{k_{n+1} - k_n}
    [/tex]

Unfortunately I don't get an inequality in terms of x alone. How do I proceed from here? Perhaps I need a further assumption, like [itex]k_{n+1} - k_n = 1[/itex] for all n?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

its going to depend on your a_n... if a_n =0 for all n, it exists for every x

4. Aug 14, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

sorry, actually I misread sequence

if the limit exists, and is b say, then for any e>0 you can choose N such that for all n>N
    [tex] |a_nx^n -b|<e [/tex]

you could then think about the beahviour of x when x>|1| and otherwise

though as mentioned previously it will depend on teh sequnce [itex] a_n [/itex] , is it for any [itex] a_n [/itex] or are there any contraints on the [itex] a_n [/itex] ?

5. Aug 14, 2010 #4
    There are no constraints on an. I do know of a couple that might shed some light on this general situation. As you previously mentioned, if the an are all 0 (or are eventually all 0), then the limit exists for all n. If the an are eventually all some nonzero constant, then we know the limit exists for all |x| < 1. Now I believe that if c = lim |an/an+1|, then the limit exists for all |x| < c. This is something I have yet to prove though.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook