When and for what values of x does lim anxn exist?

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for what values of x does the limit of the sequence anxn exist. The solution attempts to find a relationship between x and the sequence through a monotonic subsequence. However, the attempt does not yield a clear inequality in terms of x alone. Further assumptions may be needed, such as k_{n+1} - k_n = 1 for all n. It is mentioned that the existence of the limit depends on the sequence a_n, with examples given for when the limit exists for all values of x. It is suggested that the limit exists for all |x| < c, where c is equal to the limit of |an/an+1|.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Let an be a sequence of real numbers. For what values of x does lim anxn exist?

The attempt at a solution
Let us suppose that lim anxn exist and is equal to b. What can we say about x? Hmm...there is a monotonic subsequence that converges to b, say [itex]a_{k_n}x^{k_n}[/itex]. If this is an increasing sequence, we have that

[tex]
a_{k_n}x^{k_n} \le a_{k_{n+1}}x^{k_{n+1}}
[/tex]

or equivalently

[tex]
\frac{a_{k_n}}{a_{k_{n+1}}} \le x^{k_{n+1} - k_n}
[/tex]

Unfortunately I don't get an inequality in terms of x alone. How do I proceed from here? Perhaps I need a further assumption, like [itex]k_{n+1} - k_n = 1[/itex] for all n?

Physics news on Phys.org
its going to depend on your a_n... if a_n =0 for all n, it exists for every x

sorry, actually I misread sequence

if the limit exists, and is b say, then for any e>0 you can choose N such that for all n>N
[tex] |a_nx^n -b|<e [/tex]

you could then think about the beahviour of x when x>|1| and otherwise

though as mentioned previously it will depend on teh sequnce [itex] a_n [/itex] , is it for any [itex] a_n [/itex] or are there any contraints on the [itex] a_n [/itex] ?

There are no constraints on an. I do know of a couple that might shed some light on this general situation. As you previously mentioned, if the an are all 0 (or are eventually all 0), then the limit exists for all n. If the an are eventually all some nonzero constant, then we know the limit exists for all |x| < 1. Now I believe that if c = lim |an/an+1|, then the limit exists for all |x| < c. This is something I have yet to prove though.

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index of the terms increases towards infinity. In other words, it is the value that the terms "get closer and closer" to as the sequence progresses.

2. What is the significance of the index n in the expression lim a_n x^n?

The index n represents the term number in the sequence. It is used to differentiate between each term and to show the relationship between the terms in the sequence.

3. How can we determine if lim a_n x^n exists?

To determine if lim a_n x^n exists, we can use various methods such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. These tests help us to determine if the terms of the sequence are approaching a finite value or if they are growing without bound.

4. What factors can affect the existence of lim a_n x^n?

The existence of lim a_n x^n can be affected by the behavior of the terms in the sequence, such as whether they are approaching a finite value or growing without bound. Additionally, the value of x can also affect the existence of the limit, as certain values of x may cause the limit to exist while others may not.

5. How does the existence of lim a_n x^n relate to the convergence of a sequence?

The existence of lim a_n x^n is directly related to the convergence of a sequence. If the limit exists, then the sequence is said to converge. However, if the limit does not exist, then the sequence is said to diverge. This means that the terms of the sequence do not approach a finite value, and the sequence may either grow without bound or oscillate between different values.