When i try to do this i end up with a fourth order polynomial

• Thread starter ThewyBenner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the problem involves a collar A sliding on a vertical smooth bar with masses of 20kg and 10kg, and a spring constant of 250kN/m. The spring is unstretched when h = 0.2m. The task is to find the value of h when the system is at rest, using the equations of sum of forces and sum of moments. The geometry of the problem creates complexity, resulting in a 4th order polynomial in h.
ThewyBenner

Homework Statement

The collar A slides on the vertical smooth bar. Masses ma=20 kg, mb = 10 kg, and spring constant k = 250 kN/m. When h = 0.2m, the spring is unstretched. Determine the value of h when the system is at rest.
20160916_204148.jpg

Homework Equations

sum of all forces equal zero
sum of all moments equal zero
f_g=mg
can some one please show me how to do this correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ThewyBenner said:

Homework Statement

The collar A slides on the vertical smooth bar. Masses ma=20 kg, mb = 10 kg, and spring constant k = 250 kN/m. When h = 0.2m, the spring is unstretched. Determine the value of h when the system is at rest.View attachment 106098

Homework Equations

sum of all forces equal zero
sum of all moments equal zero
f_g=mg
can some one please show me how to do this correctly?
I also get a 4th order polynomial in h. The equations are simple enough for the forces, but the clumsy geometry seems to create this complexity.

Likes ThewyBenner
Charles Link said:
I also get a 4th order polynomial in h. The equations are simple enough for the forces, but the clumsy geometry seems to create this complexity.

Ok, thank you I will try to solve it then.

Likes Charles Link

1. How do I solve a fourth order polynomial?

Solving a fourth order polynomial is similar to solving a quadratic equation. You can use the quadratic formula or factoring techniques to find the roots of the polynomial. However, it may be more complex and time-consuming due to the higher degree.

2. Why do fourth order polynomials arise in certain situations?

Fourth order polynomials can arise in situations where there are multiple variables affecting the outcome. They can also arise in physical systems that involve higher degrees of complexity, such as vibrations or fluid dynamics.

3. Can a fourth order polynomial have more than four roots?

Yes, a fourth order polynomial can have up to four distinct roots. However, some of the roots may be repeated or complex numbers. In rare cases, there may be more than four distinct roots if the polynomial has multiple variables and parameters.

4. How do I graph a fourth order polynomial?

To graph a fourth order polynomial, you can plot points by substituting different values for the variable and then connect them to create a curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the polynomial accurately.

5. Are there any real-life applications of fourth order polynomials?

Yes, fourth order polynomials have various real-life applications, such as modeling the growth of populations, predicting stock market trends, and analyzing the behavior of complex systems. They are also used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to describe physical phenomena.