1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When K-mesons decay

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    ok say a K- meson decays to... Oh i dont know say... A pion 0 and a beta+ and a... what is the third particle in the series. If it was to decay like this would u not need the third particle to have a charge of 2 (dont worry i know this is impossible... and by impossible i mean without doubly charged particles which is definately not the answer) to balance the equation.

Could this decay series be a typo or could it be valid...

If you have a site containing info on baryons decaying by releasing leptons it would also be a great help because the next two questons also pertain to these types of decays

After a few hours online I got no closer to an answer
    In need of help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The decay should be something like that:

[tex] K^{-}\rightarrow \pi^{0} + e^{-} +\bar{\nu}_{e} [/tex]

There are several reasons for considering this reaction.Actually they are called conservation laws.4-momentum,electric charge,spin,lepton number,isospin,color,...all of them must be conserved in elementary processes.

PS.Hopefully someone else will give a link where u could read more into it,though i still think you ought to read a good book.Aitchinson &Hey is a good one.
  4. Jan 12, 2005 #3
    Thanks for that.

Now all i need to know is why, but I'll try to work that out for myself.

Thanks again!
  5. Jan 13, 2005 #4
    ok I got it wrong turns out it was a K+ meson thus the whole "charge of 2" thing... little help here!
  6. Jan 13, 2005 #5

Staff: Mentor

Well using Daniel's equation

[tex] K^{+}\rightarrow \pi^{0} + e^{+} + {\nu}_{e} [/tex]

But this is only one of several possibilities of decay modes.

The most probable decay mode (perhaps Daniel may confirm) is [itex] K^{+}\rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu [/itex].
  7. Jan 15, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the decay [itex] K^{+}\rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu [/itex] is observed about 63.5% of the time.

The next most observed decay is to [itex] \pi^+ \pi^0 [/itex] (about 21% of the time)

Then ther is to [itex] \pi^+ \pi^- \pi^+ [/itex] (5.6%)

and then [itex] \pi^0 e^+ \nu_e [/itex] (4.8%)

and then [itex] \pi^0 \mu^+ \nu_\mu [/itex] (3.2%)

and so on. (source : Particle Properties data Booklet, but that's a very old edition (1992) so these numbers may have changed a bit)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?