What Are the Common Decay Modes of K-Mesons?

• Thread starter Kika
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of a K- meson into a pion 0, a beta+ particle, and a third unknown particle. The possibility of this decay series being a typo is brought up, and the conservation laws that must be considered in elementary processes are mentioned. The most probable decay mode of a K+ meson is also discussed, with the equation K+ --> mu+ + nu_mu. There are several other possible decay modes for a K+ meson, with different probabilities of occurrence.
Kika
ok say a K- meson decays to... Oh i don't know say... A pion 0 and a beta+ and a... what is the third particle in the series. If it was to decay like this would u not need the third particle to have a charge of 2 (dont worry i know this is impossible... and by impossible i mean without doubly charged particles which is definitely not the answer) to balance the equation.

Could this decay series be a typo or could it be valid...

If you have a site containing info on baryons decaying by releasing leptons it would also be a great help because the next two questons also pertain to these types of decays

After a few hours online I got no closer to an answer
In need of help!
Kika

Physics news on Phys.org
The decay should be something like that:

[tex] K^{-}\rightarrow \pi^{0} + e^{-} +\bar{\nu}_{e} [/tex]

There are several reasons for considering this reaction.Actually they are called conservation laws.4-momentum,electric charge,spin,lepton number,isospin,color,...all of them must be conserved in elementary processes.

Daniel.

PS.Hopefully someone else will give a link where u could read more into it,though i still think you ought to read a good book.Aitchinson &Hey is a good one.

Thanks for that.

Now all i need to know is why, but I'll try to work that out for myself.

Thanks again!
:biggrin:

ok I got it wrong turns out it was a K+ meson thus the whole "charge of 2" thing... little help here!

Well using Daniel's equation

[tex] K^{+}\rightarrow \pi^{0} + e^{+} + {\nu}_{e} [/tex]

But this is only one of several possibilities of decay modes.

The most probable decay mode (perhaps Daniel may confirm) is [itex] K^{+}\rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu [/itex].

Astronuc said:
Well using Daniel's equation

[tex] K^{+}\rightarrow \pi^{0} + e^{+} + {\nu}_{e} [/tex]

But this is only one of several possibilities of decay modes.

The most probable decay mode (perhaps Daniel may confirm) is [itex] K^{+}\rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu [/itex].

Yes, the decay [itex] K^{+}\rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu [/itex] is observed about 63.5% of the time.

The next most observed decay is to [itex] \pi^+ \pi^0 [/itex] (about 21% of the time)

Then ther is to [itex] \pi^+ \pi^- \pi^+ [/itex] (5.6%)

and then [itex] \pi^0 e^+ \nu_e [/itex] (4.8%)

and then [itex] \pi^0 \mu^+ \nu_\mu [/itex] (3.2%)

and so on. (source : Particle Properties data Booklet, but that's a very old edition (1992) so these numbers may have changed a bit)

Pat

What is a K-meson?

A K-meson, also known as a kaon, is a type of subatomic particle that is composed of a quark and an antiquark. There are multiple types of K-mesons, including the charged K+ and K- mesons, and the neutral K0 and K0 bar mesons.

How do K-mesons decay?

K-mesons can decay through two main processes: strong decay, which involves the strong nuclear force, and weak decay, which involves the weak nuclear force. Strong decay is the most common type of decay for K-mesons, and it results in the meson breaking apart into other particles. Weak decay is less common, and it results in the meson transforming into a different type of particle.

What is the half-life of a K-meson?

The half-life of a K-meson varies depending on the type of meson. The charged K+ and K- mesons have a half-life of approximately 1.24 x 10^-8 seconds, while the neutral K0 and K0 bar mesons have a half-life of approximately 8.95 x 10^-11 seconds.

How does the decay of K-mesons contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model?

The decay of K-mesons has provided important evidence for the existence of the weak nuclear force and has helped to further our understanding of the fundamental particles and interactions described in the Standard Model of particle physics. By studying the properties of K-mesons and their decay patterns, scientists have been able to confirm and refine the predictions made by the Standard Model.

How are K-mesons used in experiments and research?

K-mesons are used in a variety of experiments and research studies, including studies of fundamental particles, the strong and weak nuclear forces, and the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. Additionally, K-mesons are often used in particle accelerators to create high-energy collisions and investigate the properties of other particles.