Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: When K-mesons decay

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    ok say a K- meson decays to... Oh i dont know say... A pion 0 and a beta+ and a... what is the third particle in the series. If it was to decay like this would u not need the third particle to have a charge of 2 (dont worry i know this is impossible... and by impossible i mean without doubly charged particles which is definately not the answer) to balance the equation.

Could this decay series be a typo or could it be valid...

If you have a site containing info on baryons decaying by releasing leptons it would also be a great help because the next two questons also pertain to these types of decays

After a few hours online I got no closer to an answer
    In need of help!
    Kika

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The decay should be something like that:

[tex] K^{-}\rightarrow \pi^{0} + e^{-} +\bar{\nu}_{e} [/tex]

There are several reasons for considering this reaction.Actually they are called conservation laws.4-momentum,electric charge,spin,lepton number,isospin,color,...all of them must be conserved in elementary processes.

Daniel.

PS.Hopefully someone else will give a link where u could read more into it,though i still think you ought to read a good book.Aitchinson &Hey is a good one.

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3
    Thanks for that.

Now all i need to know is why, but I'll try to work that out for myself.

Thanks again!
    :biggrin:

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4
    ok I got it wrong turns out it was a K+ meson thus the whole "charge of 2" thing... little help here!

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well using Daniel's equation

[tex] K^{+}\rightarrow \pi^{0} + e^{+} + {\nu}_{e} [/tex]

But this is only one of several possibilities of decay modes.

The most probable decay mode (perhaps Daniel may confirm) is [itex] K^{+}\rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu [/itex].

7. Jan 15, 2005 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the decay [itex] K^{+}\rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu [/itex] is observed about 63.5% of the time.

The next most observed decay is to [itex] \pi^+ \pi^0 [/itex] (about 21% of the time)

Then ther is to [itex] \pi^+ \pi^- \pi^+ [/itex] (5.6%)

and then [itex] \pi^0 e^+ \nu_e [/itex] (4.8%)

and then [itex] \pi^0 \mu^+ \nu_\mu [/itex] (3.2%)

and so on. (source : Particle Properties data Booklet, but that's a very old edition (1992) so these numbers may have changed a bit)

Pat

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook