When to start prepping for/take the Physics GRE?

In summary: Not to mention that your grades for your sophomore year will be included in your application and your grades for the GRE will be too. Taking it during your junior year might be a better idea, but again, your grades for your junior year will be included in your application. If you want to go for a math-intensive physics field for your masters or phd, I would recommend taking the mathematics GRE subject test. This won’t be a big help in getting into a math-intensive physics field, but it will show that you have the ability to do well on the GRE.
hello95
Hello,

I'm going to be a freshman this coming year, and hope to be double majoring in physics and math (I still have to solidify that at my orientation). I've been doing some research on the physics GRE, and it seems that a lot of material tested is covered within the first 2-3 years of undergrad. Would it be a good idea for me to begin preparing for the test now (especially given that 80% of the test covers intro level physics concepts), and take it at the end of my sophomore or junior year?

Also, would it be a good idea to take the mathematics GRE subject test as well? Would that boost my chances of admittance to a top ten school?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard of people studying it a month before the Oct/Nov exam of their 4th year. I am myself planning to start studying in August.

Well I understand that a lot of physics majors begin then, I guess I'm just wondering why that is, especially considering how incredibly competitive the exam is. Is there any reason in particular that many don't start earlier?

I'm sure many do, but personally I don't see the point of preparing for it during one's third year or earlier instead of trying to do as best as possible on third year courses (which will have the last grades that will get to be on an application transcript at the time of application, in my case).

I've seen a few exam sets and honestly I don't really think any more than 2 months should be necessary if one has taken all the first year general physics stuff + a full year's worth of CM, EM, Optics and really basic QM, and I'm fairly slow-paced when it comes to preparing.

I think CO state university offers a course for undergrads that is geared to prepare them for the pGRE.

hello95 said:
Well I understand that a lot of physics majors begin then, I guess I'm just wondering why that is, especially considering how incredibly competitive the exam is. Is there any reason in particular that many don't start earlier?

There's a point of diminishing returns. The exam is as much about test taking strategy as it is about physics. Of course, everyone is different and some require only a few weeks to review all the lower level physics.

Yeah, I see what you mean by grades - I'll definitely be putting my undergrad classes and research above the prep in terms of my priorities. That being said, what about the mathematics GRE? Would it be advantageous to prepare for/take that if I want to go for a grad program in physics? I hope to double major in math and physics, so I would have the necessary mathematics background. Would it be helpful to take if I were applying to a math-intensive physics field for my masters or phd?

By the way, I apologize if I appear a bit naive. I'm just trying to acquire a sense of what I should be attempting to accomplish over the next 4 years.

The best way to study for the GRE now is to try hard to really get your classes. There's no better preparation than learning material well.

Taking it your sophomore year is definitely a bad idea - there is a decent percent of questions on advanced material. Not a lot, but there will usually be a few questions on particle physics or partition functions and other advanced type topics.

1. When is the best time to start preparing for the Physics GRE?

It is recommended to start preparing for the Physics GRE at least 3-4 months before the exam date. This will give you enough time to cover all the necessary topics and practice enough questions.

2. Can I take the Physics GRE multiple times?

Yes, you can take the Physics GRE multiple times. However, it is important to note that some graduate schools may consider all of your scores, while others may only consider your highest score.

3. What is the format of the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE is a multiple-choice exam that consists of 100 questions. It is divided into three sections: classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics/atomic physics. The exam is 2 hours and 50 minutes long.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to do well on the Physics GRE?

Yes, having a strong math background is important for doing well on the Physics GRE. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

5. How can I prepare for the Physics GRE?

There are several ways to prepare for the Physics GRE, including studying from review books, taking practice tests, and seeking help from a tutor or study group. It is important to also review and understand key concepts and formulas, as well as practice solving problems under timed conditions.