Calculating Reaction Forces on Symmetrical Beam

• Thread starter lottedx
  • Start date
In summary, when you are calculating reaction forces on a symmetrical beam, you can use three methods - Macaulay's Bending Moment method, Displacement Finite Element analysis, and ANSYS (computer program based on FEA).
lottedx
Hi, first post here, currently a Mech Eng student, learning about Mechanics of Solids. In calculating reaction forces on a symmetrical beam that's simply supported, we've done it in three ways - Macaulay's Bending Moment method, Displacement Finite Element analysis and in ANSYS (computer program based on FEA). Was just wondering when each of these method would be used? Is there a specific situation where one would be more useful than the other or it is more about learning every situation in order to double check answers?

Many thanks for any thoughts on the situation

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello, lottedx and welcome to Physics Forums.

Well isn't it nice to have more than one method available to calculate something?

When you have more than one method and the different methods yield the same answer, you have a truly independent check.

Obviously you have analysed the same beam each time to compare the methods and found that for a simple situation straightforward substitution into a formula is easiest.

However consider how easy it would be to develop a formula for a beam of variable section (eg tapering), compared to the small change needed to an FE model.

Now consider a complicated structure that will be analysed by FE methods.
How will you know that the FE method is telling the truth?
Answer - by 'calibration' against known cases determined by other methods and/or by obtaining rough results by simpler methods.

Does this help ?

go well

That makes perfect sense, thank you.

Especially as we all have a tendency to take computer answer as gospel, we all know that the answers are only as good as the human input that created them!

That's helpful to know that it is purely different ways to calulate the same things.

Thanks!

Yes! as my Stress analysis lecturer would say when it comes to FEM- "Junk in Junk out"

hello sir am a mechanical design engineering student who is trying to use ansys workbench for an simple analysis. i am new to this software.
how can i apply a force in a beam with specific angle. is it possible to apply a inclined force on a component?

1. How do I calculate reaction forces on a symmetrical beam?

To calculate reaction forces on a symmetrical beam, you will need to use the equations of static equilibrium. This involves setting the sum of all vertical forces and the sum of all horizontal forces equal to zero. You will also need to consider the moments of the forces acting on the beam. By solving these equations simultaneously, you can determine the reaction forces at the supports of the beam.

2. What information do I need to calculate reaction forces on a symmetrical beam?

In order to calculate reaction forces on a symmetrical beam, you will need to know the dimensions of the beam, the location and magnitude of any applied loads, and the location and type of supports (i.e. pinned, roller, fixed). It is also important to have a clear understanding of the concepts of static equilibrium and how to apply them to solve for reaction forces.

3. Can I use the same method to calculate reaction forces on an asymmetrical beam?

Yes, you can use the same method to calculate reaction forces on an asymmetrical beam. However, the equations of static equilibrium will be more complex because the beam will have different dimensions and varying loads and supports on each side. It is important to carefully consider and label all forces and moments when solving for reaction forces on an asymmetrical beam.

4. What are some common mistakes when calculating reaction forces on a symmetrical beam?

One common mistake when calculating reaction forces on a symmetrical beam is forgetting to include the weight of the beam itself. It is important to remember that the beam is also subject to the forces of gravity, and this weight must be included in the equations of static equilibrium. Another mistake is not properly labeling and accounting for all forces and moments acting on the beam, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. Are there any software programs that can help with calculating reaction forces on a symmetrical beam?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can help with calculating reaction forces on a symmetrical beam. These programs use mathematical algorithms and equations to quickly and accurately determine reaction forces and can also provide visual representations of the forces acting on the beam. Some examples of these programs include SAP2000, STAAD.Pro, and RISA-3D.