Where can I find free electric field simulation software for Mac OS X?

In summary, the person is looking for free electric field simulation software that can support Mac OS X or be open source for compiling on Mac. They want the software to be able to simulate charged objects and provide electric flux measurements, preferably in the form of a color map or value at specific points. They are also interested in magnetic fields and charged particle trajectories but it is not a requirement. They have found some options but they are either too expensive or not suitable, so they are asking for recommendations for software that fits their criteria.
nuiluidwde
Hi,

I'm looking for some free electric field simulation software, ideally it should support Mac OS X, or at least be open source so I can compile it for Mac, but finding a linux or windows pc isn't difficult for me. It should be able to take an environment filled with charged objects and give the electric flux at different points, preferably as a colour map, but also giving the value at given points or as a graph. Magnetic fields and charged particle trajectories would be nice, but I don't need them.

Does anyone know any software like this out there? I have found a couple modular physics simulation software out there, but they either cost a lot or the price has to be negotiated. I don't want to pay for this software, but I could make an exception if it is fairly cheap.

Something like this, but supporting electric fields, is kind of what I'm looking for:- http://www.mare.ee/indrek/ephi/, or this but commercially/freely available:- http://www.integratedsoft.com/products/coulomb/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Where can I find free electric field simulation software for Mac OS X?

1. What is a Free Electric Field simulator?

A Free Electric Field simulator is a computer program that allows users to visualize and analyze the electric field generated by a set of charged particles. It uses mathematical algorithms and graphical representations to simulate the behavior of electric fields in different scenarios.

2. How does a Free Electric Field simulator work?

The Free Electric Field simulator works by using Coulomb's Law to calculate the electric field at each point in the simulation. This calculation takes into account the magnitude and location of the charged particles, as well as the properties of the medium in which the particles are located. The resulting electric field is then represented visually using vector arrows or color gradients.

3. What are the benefits of using a Free Electric Field simulator?

A Free Electric Field simulator allows users to visualize and understand complex electric field interactions that would be difficult to conceptualize otherwise. It can also be used to predict the behavior of electric fields in real-world scenarios, making it a useful tool for engineers and scientists in various fields.

4. Are there different types of Free Electric Field simulators?

Yes, there are different types of Free Electric Field simulators available. Some are designed for educational purposes and have user-friendly interfaces, while others are more advanced and used for research and professional purposes. There are also simulators that specialize in specific types of electric fields, such as static or time-varying fields.

5. Can a Free Electric Field simulator be used for practical applications?

Yes, a Free Electric Field simulator can be used for practical applications such as designing and optimizing the placement of electrical equipment, predicting and mitigating potential hazards in high voltage systems, and analyzing the effects of electromagnetic fields on biological systems. It can also be used for educational purposes to demonstrate the principles of electric fields and their applications in real-world scenarios.