1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I get these specific sensors?

  1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone, as the title suggests i'm in need of finding some specific vendors or catalogs for a few particular items needed in my design project.

    My University will be taking care of the bill, so while I would appreciate modest cost expenses, it would benefit my college to have some of these items for future students, and is of a better quality than legos :).

    With that being said (sorry for being lengthy), I am in finding myself in need of sensors able to monitor sound, and some sensors/equipment able to monitor vibrations. Microphones can work as long as they aren't massive, electrostatic or condenser mics would do just nicely. But as I have said...I am having a bit of trouble locating where to buy these :(. Could anyone direct me to a website or give me a couple phone numbers of some vendors that might have some of this equipment? I'd really appreciate it!!

    Edit: I'm sorry, I should have specified a bit more about the scope of their requirements....they are not being used for an industrial scale, and the dB threshold is very fine...it needs to be sensitive enough to accurately measure the dB from simply opening a door (that's about the the scale of this project), and a sensor device able to detect the same vibrations from said impact.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    Have you tried the RS catalogue? Google RS and click on RS components. I do not work for or have shares in RS.
  4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    Good suggestion, that's also where our lab gets components like this ;) It might depend on where you live though, in the Netherlands we get the order within 1 day.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook