Where does the missing energy go?

• Thread starter audjobman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, when a mass is suspended from a spring, the gravitational potential energy lost by the mass equals the energy stored in the spring. However, when the mass is gently lowered to rest, the remaining energy is converted to internal energy (heat) by the force exerted on the mass. The energy lost due to vibrations will eventually cause the mass to come to rest at its equilibrium position.
audjobman
Where does the missing energy go?!

When suspending a mass from a spring, we can determine the distance the spring is stretched by using mg=kx. However, if we consider the energy transferred, the gravitational potential energy lost by the mass should equal the energy stored in the spring, no?

But when I use [tex]\Delta[/tex]Eg=mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]h and Ep=½2x2, and I consider that the change in height for the mass and the distance the spring is stretched are the same, then:

mgx=½kx^2

Simplifying this gives me mg=½kx. So, where does the other half of the energy go?

I've tried considering that it must be converted to kinetic energy or thermal energy but I've conducted the experiment and, when the mass is gently lowered to rest, there is no significant heating of the spring that I can see and there is no apparent kinetic energy. Am I missing something?

I'm certain I am. Please help me find my way...

Physics news on Phys.org

The force increases with distance. The average force is not kx but half that.

audjobman said:
I've tried considering that it must be converted to kinetic energy or thermal energy but I've conducted the experiment and, when the mass is gently lowered to rest, there is no significant heating of the spring that I can see and there is no apparent kinetic energy. Am I missing something?
When you gently lower the mass, you exert a force on the mass which does negative work. You essentially absorb that energy in your muscles, turning it into internal energy ("heat"). If you didn't exert that force--if you just let the mass drop onto the spring--then the mass would end up with kinetic energy.

audjobman said:
When suspending a mass from a spring, we can determine the distance the spring is stretched by using mg=kx. However, if we consider the energy transferred, the gravitational potential energy lost by the mass should equal the energy stored in the spring, no?

But when I use [tex]\Delta[/tex]Eg=mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]h and Ep=½2x2, and I consider that the change in height for the mass and the distance the spring is stretched are the same, then:

mgx=½kx^2

Simplifying this gives me mg=½kx. So, where does the other half of the energy go?

I'm certain I am. Please help me find my way...

The equation mg=kx gives you the equilibrium distance, let us call it x0. Of course, the potential energy at this position is mgx0=(1/2)kx02.

But if you attach the mass at x=0 and let it go, the force mg will make larger work: the mass will pass by the equilibrium position and will go down, to 2x0. Then the mass will oscillate around the equilibrium position. While passing x0, the mass will also have a kinetic energy.

Bob.

Last edited:

And extending Doc als and Bob for shorts answers the vibrations will die down as energy is lost to the surroundings and the mass will eventually come to rest at its equilibrium position.

1. What is meant by "missing energy"?

Missing energy refers to the amount of energy that is unaccounted for in a given system or process. It is the difference between the expected amount of energy and the actual amount of energy measured or observed.

2. Where does the missing energy go?

The missing energy can go into various forms, such as heat, sound, or light. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential or kinetic energy.

3. Why is it important to understand where the missing energy goes?

Understanding where the missing energy goes can help us better understand and predict the behavior of a system. It can also help us improve the efficiency of processes and technologies by identifying and reducing energy losses.

4. How do scientists determine where the missing energy goes?

Scientists use various methods and tools, such as energy balance equations and thermodynamic principles, to track and measure the flow of energy in a system. They also conduct experiments and simulations to observe and analyze the behavior of the system.

5. Can all missing energy be accounted for?

No, it is not always possible to account for all of the missing energy in a system. Some energy may be lost due to factors such as friction, human error, or limitations in measurement methods. However, scientists continue to study and develop new techniques to improve our understanding of energy flow and minimize energy losses.