Where Electric Field Strength + Potential are Zero?

In summary: Note: In summary, the conversation is about drawing equipotential and electric field lines for different arrangements of charges. The equations used are e = k|q|/r^2 and V = kq/r. The equations can be super-positioned to find the total field by adding the fields from each individual charge.
karine

Homework Statement

draw equipotential lines and electric field lines for the following arrangements of charges:
a) +4 at (3,5)
b) +4 at (3,5) and +4 at (6,5)
c) +4 at (3,5) and -4 at (6,5)
d) +5 at (3,5) and -2 at (6,5)
e) +4 at (3,4), (7,4), and (7,7)
f) +4 at (3,4) and (7,4) and -4 at (3,7) and (7,7)
h) +4 at (3,4),(7,4), and (5,8)

#1: find the places in the arrangements from a-f where electric field strength is zero. show your work. State the x,y coordinate where the electric field strength is zero
#2: find the places in each arrangement where the electric potential is zero. show your work.

Homework Equations

e = [itex]\frac{k|q|}{r^{2}}[/itex]
V = [itex]\frac{kq}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, my teacher directed me to this applet thing to see what the equipotential and electric field lines would look like, which is this:
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~phys1/java/phys1/EField/EField.html
so I tried to plot the points and I saved each one as a picture. With this: "draw equipotential lines and electric field lines", show I use the pictures or draw them completely new on separate graph paper?
for #1 for arrangement B, I figured because of the distance the place would be in the middle of the two charges, so at (4.5,6), but I have no idea how I could prove this with any of the equations I've learned. If I use e = k |q| / r^2, and sub in e for 0 and try to find r, I get 189 736.66 :S
I also don't understand how using e = k |q| / r^2 incorporates the fact that there are two charges.
I realize that's not a lot of work done on my own, but I really don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing at all.
This is at a grade 12 level.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing you're missing is that the maxwell equations are linear and can be super-positioned. That is, if you know the field distribution for one charge, and then you place another charge somewhere, you just add the two fields together. That's why we can integrate charges spread out on a circle for example. So the equations you have describe the field around one charge, where r is the distance from that specific charge. So if you want to know the total field, just add them together (but remember to keep track of which r belongs to which charge).

/M

1. What does it mean when the electric field strength and potential are zero?

When the electric field strength and potential are zero, it means that there is no net force acting on a charged particle in that particular region. This could be due to the cancellation of electric field vectors or the absence of any charges in that region.

2. What is the significance of a region where the electric field strength and potential are zero?

A region where the electric field strength and potential are zero is known as an equipotential region. This means that all points within that region have the same electric potential. It is used to map out the electric field and identify areas of equal potential.

3. Can the electric field strength and potential be zero at the same point?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field strength and potential to be zero at the same point. In this case, the electric field is said to be zero because the electric potential at that point is constant and does not change with position.

4. How is the electric field strength related to the potential in a region where both are zero?

In a region where both the electric field strength and potential are zero, the electric field strength is directly proportional to the rate of change of potential with distance. This means that the electric field strength is zero when the potential is constant, and vice versa.

5. What factors can cause the electric field strength and potential to be zero in a region?

The electric field strength and potential can be zero in a region due to several factors, such as the presence of equal and opposite charges canceling out the electric field, the shape and arrangement of charges, or the distance from the source of the electric field.