1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is the center of mass of this structure?

1. Nov 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I'm taking the safe side by posting this question as a h/w problem, since even though its just to satisfy my curiosity, I don't want to take the risk of being penalized for putting a specific case like this one on another forum.

Please look at http://spoofusa.com/the-tripped-man-sculpture-brussels-belgium/ [Broken]

I'd just like to know how this stable structure is possible.

2. Relevant equations

I guess we're looking for its center of mass.

3. The attempt at a solution

Most of the mass would be concentrated in the foot on the ground/the foot above, but I'm not sure the math would work out!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not all the sculpture is above ground.
    Imagine the falling figures foot has a steel core that is welded to steel I-beams that extend under the white paving stones... or just a big block of concrete.

Another example:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/russellstreet/4066480678/in/photostream/
    It's called "Throwback" and I saw it installed - the big D is supposed to be a bit of architecture that got tossed there to stick up at about 70deg to the horizontal. The bottom "corner" is actually a huge block of concrete. The reaction from the surrounding ground keeps it upright.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  4. Nov 16, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might also be hollow. Bronze is quite expensive.

5. Nov 16, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

No doubt many have passersby have weighed down on the sculpture's arms to test his strength, or theirs, so he would need to be much stronger than might appear, to endow him with a longevity in this public space. http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Nov 16, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is certainly hollow.
    Test bronze statues near where you live.

7. Nov 16, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Though if you want to test them by drilling a hole in them, do it late at night and make sure there are no policemen around!

8. Nov 16, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Recommend tapping as a hollowness test. ;)
    Public display bronze statues ring hollowly when tapped but are still strong enough to be climbed on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted