Where is the center of mass of this structure?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Urmi Roy
Messages
743
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



So I'm taking the safe side by posting this question as a h/w problem, since even though its just to satisfy my curiosity, I don't want to take the risk of being penalized for putting a specific case like this one on another forum.

Please look at http://spoofusa.com/the-tripped-man-sculpture-brussels-belgium/

I'd just like to know how this stable structure is possible.

Homework Equations



I guess we're looking for its center of mass.

The Attempt at a Solution



Most of the mass would be concentrated in the foot on the ground/the foot above, but I'm not sure the math would work out!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not all the sculpture is above ground.
Imagine the falling figures foot has a steel core that is welded to steel I-beams that extend under the white paving stones... or just a big block of concrete.

Another example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/russellstreet/4066480678/in/photostream/
It's called "Throwback" and I saw it installed - the big D is supposed to be a bit of architecture that got tossed there to stick up at about 70deg to the horizontal. The bottom "corner" is actually a huge block of concrete. The reaction from the surrounding ground keeps it upright.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
It might also be hollow. Bronze is quite expensive.
 
No doubt many have passersby have weighed down on the sculpture's arms to test his strength, or theirs, so he would need to be much stronger than might appear, to endow him with a longevity in this public space. http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Though if you want to test them by drilling a hole in them, do it late at night and make sure there are no policemen around!
 
Recommend tapping as a hollowness test. ;)
Public display bronze statues ring hollowly when tapped but are still strong enough to be climbed on.