Where is the center of mass of this structure?

In summary, the stable structure of the "tripped man sculpture" in Brussels, Belgium is due to the reaction of the surrounding ground keeping it upright. The sculpture is likely hollow, as bronze is quite expensive, and public display bronze statues ring hollowly when tapped but are still strong enough to be climbed on.
Urmi Roy

Homework Statement

So I'm taking the safe side by posting this question as a h/w problem, since even though its just to satisfy my curiosity, I don't want to take the risk of being penalized for putting a specific case like this one on another forum.

Please look at http://spoofusa.com/the-tripped-man-sculpture-brussels-belgium/

I'd just like to know how this stable structure is possible.

Homework Equations

I guess we're looking for its center of mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

Most of the mass would be concentrated in the foot on the ground/the foot above, but I'm not sure the math would work out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not all the sculpture is above ground.
Imagine the falling figures foot has a steel core that is welded to steel I-beams that extend under the white paving stones... or just a big block of concrete.

Another example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/russellstreet/4066480678/in/photostream/
It's called "Throwback" and I saw it installed - the big D is supposed to be a bit of architecture that got tossed there to stick up at about 70deg to the horizontal. The bottom "corner" is actually a huge block of concrete. The reaction from the surrounding ground keeps it upright.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
It might also be hollow. Bronze is quite expensive.

No doubt many have passersby have weighed down on the sculpture's arms to test his strength, or theirs, so he would need to be much stronger than might appear, to endow him with a longevity in this public space. http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It is certainly hollow.
Test bronze statues near where you live.

Though if you want to test them by drilling a hole in them, do it late at night and make sure there are no policemen around!

Recommend tapping as a hollowness test. ;)
Public display bronze statues ring hollowly when tapped but are still strong enough to be climbed on.

Related to Where is the center of mass of this structure?

1. Where is the center of mass of this structure located?

The center of mass of a structure is the point at which the weight of the object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is typically located at the geometric center of the object.

2. How do you calculate the center of mass of a structure?

The center of mass can be calculated by taking the sum of each individual mass multiplied by its distance from a chosen reference point, divided by the total mass of the structure. This can be represented mathematically as:

xcm = ∑mx / ∑m

where xcm is the center of mass, m is the mass of each individual component, and x is the distance of each component from the reference point.

3. Does the shape or size of a structure affect its center of mass?

Yes, the shape and size of a structure can affect its center of mass. Objects with irregular shapes or varying densities will have a more complex center of mass calculation, as compared to simpler shapes with uniform density.

4. Can the center of mass of a structure change?

Yes, the center of mass of a structure can change if the distribution of mass within the structure changes. For example, if a heavy component is added to one side of the structure, the center of mass will shift towards that side.

5. Why is it important to know the center of mass of a structure?

Knowing the center of mass of a structure is important for understanding its stability and balance. It also helps in determining the forces acting on the structure and how it will behave under different conditions, such as during movement or when additional weight is added.