Where to study emerging fields of plasmonics and metamaterials?

In summary, the speaker expresses an interest in pursuing graduate studies in plasmonics and metamaterials, citing a love for electrodynamics and EM propagation and a current project in the field. They ask for recommendations on graduate schools in the USA and mention being a first year Msc student in Russia. The respondent suggests Duke University, highlighting their distinguished department for metamaterials and recent creation of a cloaking device featured in the New York Times.
kamuss
I am very interested in pursuing graduate studies in the emerging field of plasmonics and metamaterials, I really love electrodynamics and EM propagation, and since I started doing a project on plasmonics and metamaterials, I knew that is what I wanted, what graduate schools in USA do you recommend me to apply to?. I am currently a first year Msc student in Russia.

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard Duke has a pretty distinguished department for Metamaterials. If I'm not wrong, they recently created a cloaking device that bends microwaves, and it was featured in the NYT.

Below's the link to the department:
http://www.ee.duke.edu/~drsmith/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

There are many excellent graduate programs in the United States that offer research opportunities in plasmonics and metamaterials. Some top universities in this field include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, and Harvard University. These universities have renowned faculty members and state-of-the-art facilities for conducting research in this emerging field.

I would also recommend looking into universities with strong programs in electrical engineering, physics, and materials science, as these disciplines are closely related to plasmonics and metamaterials. Some other universities to consider are California Institute of Technology (Caltech), University of Michigan, and University of Texas at Austin.

Additionally, you may want to explore internship opportunities at national laboratories such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) or the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), which have a focus on research in plasmonics and metamaterials.

It is also important to consider the specific research interests and expertise of faculty members at each university. I would recommend reaching out to potential advisors and discussing your research interests and goals to find the best fit for your graduate studies.

Best of luck in your graduate school search and pursuing your passion for plasmonics and metamaterials!

1. What are plasmonics and metamaterials?

Plasmonics is the study of the behavior of light when it interacts with metal surfaces, while metamaterials are artificial materials engineered to have unique properties not found in naturally occurring materials.

2. Why are plasmonics and metamaterials considered emerging fields?

Plasmonics and metamaterials are considered emerging fields because they are relatively new areas of study that have gained significant attention in the past few decades due to their potential for applications in various fields such as optics, electronics, and medicine.

3. Where can I study plasmonics and metamaterials?

Many universities around the world offer courses and research opportunities in plasmonics and metamaterials. Some notable institutions include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California, Berkeley, and University of Oxford.

4. What are the prerequisites for studying plasmonics and metamaterials?

A background in physics, particularly optics and electromagnetism, is essential for studying plasmonics and metamaterials. Knowledge in materials science and engineering may also be beneficial.

5. What career opportunities are available in the field of plasmonics and metamaterials?

Graduates with a background in plasmonics and metamaterials may find career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, photonics, and renewable energy. They may also pursue research and development positions in academic institutions or private companies.