Where would I find what a gas breaks down into when it....

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary: There is no table type information for temperature of when disassociation for a gas becomes ionisation.
rwooduk
... becomes a plasma?

I am trying to find information on the species that will be present when a gas is broken down into a plasma for different types of gas and temperatures, is there a list somewhere, please could someone give me an idea of where I should look for this information?

Also am I correct in assuming that at lower temperatures there is disassociation and higher temperatures there is ionisation? And therefore there would be more radical species at lower temperatures and more chemical reactions in a reactive environment.

Thanks for any help on this, the plasma physics field is huge and having trouble figuring out where I would locate this information.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
where I should look for this information?
There are tables of ionization energies, JANAF, ICT, CRC.
rwooduk said:
at lower temperatures there is disassociation and higher temperatures there is ionisation?
Generally.

Likes rwooduk
Bystander said:
There are tables of ionization energies, JANAF, ICT, CRC.

Generally.

That's really helpful and thanks for confirming the general case!

What I really need are, for example for methane:

zbpstfZ.jpg

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/v75-516

Those reactions. Would there be a place where they are grouped or would I have to look up each gas individually?

Also the differences in products at different temperature i.e. at what temperature there would be ions instead of radicals (like the above) for different gases.

rwooduk said:
Those reactions. Would there be a place where they are grouped or would I have to look up each gas individually?
Welcome to the wonderful world of chemical thermodynamics. For the example you've picked, CH4, no one knows, nor has anyone measured, nor is anyone likely to ever be able to measure, or calculate, the distribution of hydrocarbon species in equilibrium for a system having a stoichiometry identical to that for methane (xC = 0.2, xH = 0.8). At ordinary conditions, methane is stable, and can be treated as a single component; at elevated T, P, or in the presence of catalysts, it is necessary to consider either the species population distributions of a two-component system, or a system of an unknown number of components and an unknown number of reactions among those components, the overall system composition still being equivalent to that of pure methane.
rwooduk said:
Also the differences in products at different temperature i.e. at what temperature there would be ions instead of radicals (like the above) for different gases.
The equilibrium species distributions are of course going to be functions of T, P, {Xi}.

Likes rwooduk
Bystander said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of chemical thermodynamics. For the example you've picked, CH4, no one knows, nor has anyone measured, nor is anyone likely to ever be able to measure, or calculate, the distribution of hydrocarbon species in equilibrium for a system having a stoichiometry identical to that for methane (xC = 0.2, xH = 0.8). At ordinary conditions, methane is stable, and can be treated as a single component; at elevated T, P, or in the presence of catalysts, it is necessary to consider either the species population distributions of a two-component system, or a system of an unknown number of components and an unknown number of reactions among those components, the overall system composition still being equivalent to that of pure methane.

The equilibrium species distributions are of course going to be functions of T, P, {Xi}.

ha thanks for the information. hmm this presents a problem, I am trying to compare plasma processes that disassociate different gases to radicals and sonolysis (the use of ultrasound cavitation) to do the same. Clearly the radicals from the water would be H⋅ and OH⋅, but then if I don't know what species will be given from the gas in the water how do I know how they will recombine? The best I can find is this:

xaBxFmy.jpg

Where I think M would be the species of the dissolves gas.

But anyway thanks again for your help!

edit so there is no table type information for temperature of when disassociation for a gas becomes ionisation?

1. Where would I find information about what a gas breaks down into?

You can find information about what a gas breaks down into by researching the specific gas and its properties, as well as the conditions and reactions that cause it to break down. Scientific databases, textbooks, and peer-reviewed articles are good resources for this information.

2. What factors determine what a gas breaks down into?

The factors that determine what a gas breaks down into include temperature, pressure, chemical composition, and the presence of catalysts or other reactants. These factors can influence the stability and reactivity of the gas, leading to different breakdown products.

3. How can I predict what a gas will break down into?

Predicting what a gas will break down into can be challenging and often requires knowledge of the gas's properties and the reaction conditions. Computer simulations and experimental studies can also help in predicting the breakdown products of a gas.

4. Can a gas break down into different products under different conditions?

Yes, a gas can break down into different products under different conditions. For example, a gas may break down into different molecules at high temperatures compared to low temperatures. The presence of other reactants or catalysts can also influence the breakdown products of a gas.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the breakdown of gases?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to the breakdown of gases. Some gas breakdown products may be toxic, flammable, or explosive, which can pose a risk to human health and the environment. It is important to understand and properly handle the breakdown products of gases to ensure safety.