Which angle is theta and when do I use sin or cos?

• Thread starter c_programmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, when getting components with respect to gravity it is often intuitive, but this isn't always the case. None of my classes thus far have talked about why when to use sin or cos, they just do. I'm wondering how I can figure this out when the answer isn't obvious.
c_programmer
Not a direct problem but this is a homework related question so I'm posting it here. When getting components with respect to gravity it is often intuitive, this isn't always the case. None of my classes thus far have talked about why when to use sin or cos, they just do. I'm wondering how I can figure this out when the answer isn't obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use either as long as your use of them is consistent (because sin(θ) = cos(θ+90°) so it just depends on how you define your coordinates)

It's hard to abstractly explain which to use without a specific question, but if it confuses you then you should re-study some trigonometry. (It's a lack of understanding of trigonometry that makes it confusing, not a lack of understanding of physics.)

They don't seem interchangeable. Here's a specific problem I just did (and got right). Is the way I used trig towards the top correct (I reasoned that the component passes though the adjacent and hypotenuse so it must be cos)?

pSfNNkc.jpg

As you were told, it all depends on how you define your coordinates and where does your angle start (or how it is measured). It doesn't mean sin and cos are interchangeable.

No idea what is given and what you are trying to calculate, so hard to comment on what you did.

c_programmer said:
They don't seem interchangeable. Here's a specific problem I just did (and got right). Is the way I used trig towards the top correct (I reasoned that the component passes though the adjacent and hypotenuse so it must be cos)?

wow I just spent 10 minutes writing a reply explaining everything and I accidently closed the tab. Basically your teacher was just decomposing the forces into their x and y components to apply Newton's laws. If you have a right angled triangle with angles [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] then the cos of [itex]\theta[/itex] = the sin of [itex]\phi[/itex]. They are interchangeable.

watch this https://www.khanacademy.org/math/tr...ometry/basic_trig_ratios/v/basic-trigonometry

Likes 1 person
which angle is called theta (θ)?

If it is the angle of the beam with respect to the horizontal the equation for the torque ( τ ) is correct. Torque is force multiplied with the lever of arm, the distance of the line of force from the rotation axis.

ehild

1. When do I use sin and cos?

Sin and cos are trigonometric functions used to calculate the ratio of sides in a right triangle. They are used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating angles, distances, and forces.

2. What is the difference between sin and cos?

The main difference between sin and cos is that sin represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while cos represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. In other words, sin is used to calculate vertical distances, while cos is used to calculate horizontal distances.

3. How do I know when to use sin or cos in a problem?

To determine whether to use sin or cos, you need to identify the sides and angles involved in the problem. If you are dealing with vertical distances or angles, use sin. If you are dealing with horizontal distances or angles, use cos.

4. Can I use both sin and cos in the same problem?

Yes, you can use both sin and cos in the same problem. In fact, many trigonometric problems require the use of both functions to find a solution.

5. Is there a specific formula for when to use sin or cos?

There is no specific formula for when to use sin or cos. It depends on the problem and what information you are given. However, understanding the relationship between sides and angles in a right triangle can help you determine which function to use.