Which compounds are isoelectronic with CN-?

• Thread starter guiromero
  • Start date
In summary: They all have the same number of electrons (10) and similar structures with triple bonds. However, the answer may vary depending on the specific definition of isoelectronicity being used.
guiromero
Hello,

I have a question about isoelectronicity from an MIT course:

Select each compound below that is isoelectronic with CN-.
a)O2 2- b)NO+ c)HF d)ClO- e)NO f)CO

My guess would be CO, because it's the only compound that has a triple bond.
Can anyone confirm if my guess is correct?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
guiromero said:
The problem is that the "Show Answer" button is not working.
Not the solution you are looking for, but:

In the past several months there is a new version of HTML and its associated features that has appeared on the Internet--- and many older browsers don't know what to do with those pages; buttons and features that don't work have become rather common!

Up until 6 months ago I was using a browser released in 2015 that suddenly didn't work here on PhysicsForums... I was forced to upgrade (and lose a bunch of functionality). :oldfrown:

The problem is spreading and even the upgrade has trouble with some sites now.

So it seems you are at the front-end of needing a browser upgrade. I hope you can find one that is not TOO obnoxious!

Oh! And :welcome:

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Not the solution you are looking for, but:

In the past several months there is a new version of HTML and its associated features that has appeared on the Internet--- and many older browsers don't know what to do with those pages; buttons and features that don't work have become rather common!

Up until 6 months ago I was using a browser released in 2015 that suddenly didn't work here on PhysicsForums... I was forced to upgrade (and lose a bunch of functionality). :oldfrown:

The problem is spreading and even the upgrade has trouble with some sites now.

So it seems you are at the front-end of needing a browser upgrade. I hope you can find one that is not TOO obnoxious!

Oh! And :welcome:

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks for your help. But in this case, it's because the due date of the lesson has already passed.

What does "isoelectronic" mean?

(and no, it is not only CO, having triple bond is not the condition you are looking for)

Likes guiromero
A molecule is isoelectronic with another if both have the same structure (positions and connectivities among atoms) and same electronic configurations, but they differ by what specific elements are at certain locations in the structure.

I firstly didn't realize that NO+ has a triple bond, I thought it had a double bond instead. That's why I thought the answer was only CO.

In this case, I think the answer would be NO+ and CO, because both of them have triple bonds and 10 electrons, alike CN-.

Do you think my assumption is correct?

Last edited:
Yes, NO+, CO and CN- are isoelectronic.

1. What does it mean for compounds to be isoelectronic with CN-?

Compounds that are isoelectronic with CN- have the same number of electrons and similar electronic configurations as CN-. This means they have similar chemical properties and can often be substituted for each other in reactions.

2. Which elements can form compounds that are isoelectronic with CN-?

Elements in the same group of the periodic table as carbon and nitrogen, such as boron, oxygen, and fluorine, can form compounds that are isoelectronic with CN-.

3. How do you determine if a compound is isoelectronic with CN-?

To determine if a compound is isoelectronic with CN-, you need to compare the number of electrons and electronic configuration of the compound to that of CN-. If they are the same, the compound is isoelectronic.

4. What are some examples of compounds that are isoelectronic with CN-?

Some examples of compounds that are isoelectronic with CN- include CO, NO+, and N3-. These compounds have the same number of electrons and similar electronic configurations as CN-.

5. Why is it important to know which compounds are isoelectronic with CN-?

Knowing which compounds are isoelectronic with CN- can help in predicting their chemical properties and reactivity. It can also aid in finding suitable substitutes for CN- in reactions or in studying the effects of different compounds on the environment and human health.