Which force stops me falling through my chair?

In summary, the four fundamental forces are the electromagnetic, weak, strong, and gravity forces. The contact force between the chair and your body, which is a result of the electromagnetic force, is responsible for physical resistance and prevents you from falling through the chair. However, the Pauli principle also plays a role in this force by causing electrons to go to higher energy states when they come into close proximity, resulting in an electromagnetic force. Overall, the only two fundamental forces that are typically experienced in daily life are gravity and electromagnetism.
deafpanda
Hi all,

I apologise if I'm missing some elementary point here, I'm not a physicist, just an interested layman.

Anyway, here's the question. We know of four fundamental forces: electromagnetic, weak, strong, gravity, which may or may not be unified at whatever energy.

Which of these forces is responsible for physical resistance? Which force stops me falling through my chair?

Thanks!

deafpanda

Physics news on Phys.org
The force that supports your weight and prevents you from falling through the chair is the contact force of the chair against your bottom. That force is electromagnetic.

The only two fundamental forces that you really "experience" in daily life are gravity and EM.

I think that Fermi statistics also plays an important role here. When the electrons in the chair and in your pants come close to each other they need to go to higher energy states, because the Pauli principle forbids them being in the same state. This energy is, of course, electromagnetic in nature. But without the Pauli principle, you would sink into the chair a bit.

1. What is the force that keeps me from falling through my chair?

The force that keeps you from falling through your chair is called the Normal force. This force is created by the surface of the chair pushing against your body in an upward direction, balancing out the force of gravity pulling you downward.

2. Does the weight of the chair affect the force that stops me from falling through it?

Yes, the weight of the chair does affect the force that stops you from falling through it. The heavier the chair is, the greater the Normal force will be to counteract the weight and keep you from falling through.

3. What happens if there is no force to stop me from falling through my chair?

If there is no force to stop you from falling through your chair, you would fall through it due to the force of gravity. This is why the Normal force is important in keeping objects from falling through each other.

4. Can the force that stops me from falling through my chair be affected by other forces?

Yes, the force that stops you from falling through your chair can be affected by other forces. For example, if someone were to push down on your shoulders while you are sitting in the chair, the Normal force would increase to counteract this additional force.

5. Does the material of the chair affect the force that stops me from falling through it?

Yes, the material of the chair can affect the force that stops you from falling through it. Different materials have different strengths and abilities to withstand the weight and forces acting upon them. For example, a wooden chair may have a different Normal force than a metal chair.