Which H-Bridge driver can I use for power supply amplification?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing and building a DC to AC inverter using a microcontroller and H-bridge driver. The goal is to convert 10v DC to 25v AC at 50hz, and suggestions are made for using a transformer or switch-mode generated negative rail. The use of a resistor as a load is also mentioned to simulate a solar panel tied to the grid. The conversation also explores the idea of using a level shifter or clamper circuit to shift the DC level and produce a PWM waveform that alternates between positive and negative voltages. The concept of voltage being a potential difference is also discussed.
alexarthur
I have been tying to design and build a dc to ac inverter. I want to convert 10v dc to 25v ac @ 50hz. I want to use a pic24h microcontroller to generate pwm waveforms to control a H bride driver. I have programmed the pic24h to produce pwm waveforms. I used the LMD18200 as the h bridge driver only to find out it is only to be used for dc motor applications. I want a pwm waveform that goes postive and negative at the output of the h-bridge so that i can filter it(to get a 50 hz sine wave). Can anyone please suggest a H- bridge driver for me or refer me to its datasheet?

Thank you in advance.

Alex Arthur

Likes aarmega
Engineering news on Phys.org
i don't know, but i think your idea is missing a step. i doubt your going to get a driver which will drive below the power rails. you could use an isolated transformer on the output, or a switch-mode generated negative rail, then any H-bridge arrangement should work.

is it for powering something? what is the goal here? how about using an audio class-D power amp IC.

The driver is not going to get its power supply from the micro controller, its only getting its input logic from the micro controller. Its not powering anything, I just want to see the 25v ac on an oscilloscope. So I''ll just put a resistor as the load. It is supposed to simulate a solar panel being tied to the grid. However I can't work at high voltages

Sorry! the H-bridge will drive a transformer which will be tied to the grid.

Hi ...
I have not seen any H-bridge producing a pwm output switching between positive and negative voltages ... But u can feed that pwm signal to a LEVEL SHIFTER or CLAMPER circuit to shift its DC LEVEL appropriately to get both positive as well negative-going pulses , right ?
Then , u can filter that waveform to get sine wave , right ?

That H bridge has two outputs that are tied alternately to Vsupply and common

So, will voltage between output 1 and output 2 not alternate between + Vsupply and -Vsupply ?
Would a voltmeter connected there not report that?
A transformer winding connected there would see AC voltage.

Remember voltage is potential difference

1. What is an H-Bridge driver?

An H-Bridge driver is an electronic circuit that is used to control the direction and amount of current flowing through a motor or other load. It is typically composed of four switches arranged in an "H" shape, hence the name "H-Bridge".

2. Why do I need an H-Bridge driver for power supply amplification?

An H-Bridge driver is necessary for power supply amplification because it allows for the control of the direction and magnitude of current flow. This is essential for amplifying the power supply to match the required voltage and current levels for a particular application.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing an H-Bridge driver for power supply amplification?

When choosing an H-Bridge driver for power supply amplification, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of your load, as well as the switching frequency and efficiency of the driver. It is also important to ensure that the driver is compatible with your power supply and control circuitry.

4. Can any H-Bridge driver be used for power supply amplification?

No, not all H-Bridge drivers are suitable for power supply amplification. Some drivers may have limitations on the voltage and current levels they can handle, or they may not have the necessary features for precise control of the power supply. It is important to carefully select an H-Bridge driver that meets the requirements of your specific application.

5. How do I determine the appropriate H-Bridge driver for my power supply amplification needs?

To determine the appropriate H-Bridge driver for your power supply amplification needs, you should first identify the voltage and current requirements of your load, as well as the desired switching frequency. Then, you can research and compare different H-Bridge drivers to find one that meets your requirements and has the necessary features for your application.