Which has more inductive effect

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Physics lover
  • Start date
In summary: With other answers he might be saying to himself yes, no, maybe.If you are lucky enough that you can have some interaction with him he might try to ascertain or to hint or remind you or set you thinking by asking a further question.If then you don't reply to that what is he going to conclude?He'll put that down as a No.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Which has more +I effect Propyl or Sec butyl
Relevant Equations
Inductive effect
Difference in electronegativity
Distance dependent
I am confused.If i think in terms of distance than propyl group in sec butyl is far away than in normal propyl.But if think in no. of Carbon atoms then sec butyl should have more +I effect as it is has more Carbon atoms.
Tell me which is the correct one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
Homework Statement: Which has more +I effect Propyl or Sec butyl
Homework Equations: Inductive effect
Difference in electronegativity
Distance dependent

I am confused.If i think in terms of distance than propyl group in sec butyl is far away than in normal propyl.But if think in no. of Carbon atoms then sec butyl should have more +I effect as it is has more Carbon atoms.
Tell me which is the correct one?
Your second sentence practically does not mean anything that I can understand. Distance of what from what?

Don't think so much about rules as mechanisms – what is the mechanism of the inductive effect? Then look at the structures and see what that seems to imply.

i
epenguin said:
Your second sentence practically does not mean anything that I can understand. Distance of what from what?

Don't think so much about rules as mechanisms – what is the mechanism of the inductive effect? Then look at the structures and see what that seems to imply.
think sec butyl has more inductive effect as there is 1 more ch3 group in it than n propyl.So am i Correct?

Physics lover said:
i

think sec butyl has more inductive effect as there is 1 more ch3 group in it than n propyl.So am i Correct?

Maybe, but not precise enough to convince a sceptical examiner completely. 2-methylpropan-1-ol ("isobutanol") also has one more -CH3 group than propan-1-ol ( using the proper names is also more helpful and convincing) - does that have a greater inductive effect?
You need to briefly invoke and specify the physical mechanism of the inductive effect, not just rules and names.

epenguin said:
Maybe, but not precise enough to convince a sceptical examiner completely. 2-methylpropan-1-ol ("isobutanol") also has one more -CH3 group than propan-1-ol ( using the proper names is also more helpful and convincing) - does that have a greater inductive effect?
You need to briefly invoke and specify the physical mechanism of the inductive effect, not just rules and names.
ok as we know inductive effect occurs due to difference in electronegativity of atoms.In this case the terminal carbon atom in sec butyl would be more electronegative than that in n propyl as it will have more partial negative charge on terminal carbon due to presence of 1 more ch3 group than n propyl.Therefore sec butyl should be weaker +i group than n propyl.Am i correct now?

I don't think so, but even if you are it is not doing you much good because of the lack of clarity with which you express it.
I.e. wouldn't do you much good for grades or examinations. As one Prof said to me, is the student is on top of the question it hits you in the face as soon as you see his answer.

With other answers he might be saying to himself yes, no, maybe.If you are lucky enough that you can have some interaction with him he might try to ascertain or to hint or remind you or set you thinking by asking a further question.If then you don't reply to that what is he going to conclude? He'll put that down as a No.

In your answer it will also help clarity if you can use the systematic terminology that I am using in #5.You may not have learned this yet, but the examples are sufficient for all you need to this problem.Then each atom has a number and you can state which atom you are referring to C1, C4 or what.

Last edited:

Related to Which has more inductive effect

1. What is the difference between inductive effect and resonance effect?

The inductive effect is a permanent shift of electrons in a covalent bond due to the difference in electronegativity between atoms. This results in a polarization of the bond, with one atom becoming slightly positive and the other slightly negative. On the other hand, the resonance effect is a temporary redistribution of electrons in a molecule due to the presence of alternating single and double bonds, resulting in a delocalization of the electron density.

2. How does the strength of the inductive effect depend on the distance between atoms?

The strength of the inductive effect decreases as the distance between atoms increases. This is because the electronegativity difference between the atoms becomes less significant as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker polarization of the bond.

3. Which has a stronger inductive effect: an atom with a higher electronegativity or an atom with a lower electronegativity?

An atom with a higher electronegativity has a stronger inductive effect. This is because it has a greater ability to attract electrons towards itself, resulting in a more significant polarization of the bond.

4. Can the inductive effect be observed in nonpolar molecules?

Yes, the inductive effect can still be observed in nonpolar molecules. This is because even though the molecule may have a symmetrical distribution of electrons, there can still be a difference in electronegativity between atoms, resulting in a partial positive and negative charge.

5. How does the inductive effect affect the acidity of a molecule?

The inductive effect can influence the acidity of a molecule by stabilizing or destabilizing the conjugate base. If the inductive effect increases the stability of the conjugate base, the molecule will be more acidic, and vice versa.