Which ions exhibit greater stability: N vs O, P vs N, or S vs N?

In summary, the first ion is more stable than the second in options 3, 4, and 5 due to the presence of delocalization, back bonding, and the ability to handle positive charge more effectively. The other options are not as stable due to various factors such as deficiency of electrons, lack of resonance structures, and weaker effects such as inductive effect.
AGNuke
Gold Member
We have to determine in which of the following options, the first ion is more stable than the second.

Q1.png

Q2.png

Q3.png

Q4.png

Q5.png

Q6.png

Attempt at the question

1. Since in the first one, +ve charge is due to bonding, not deficiency of electrons.

2. First one can get lone pair from N.

3. N can easily donate its lone pair as opposed to O.

4. O can easily affect the -ve charge density by inductive effect.

5. P can handle +ve on itself more appreciably than N.

6. Backbonding is possible in 2nd case.

The problem is that I have marked 4 options but only 3 options are right as per the answer key. Is it that the answer key is wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Changed Image Host. Now should be able to see the pics.

AGNuke said:
We have to determine in which of the following options, the first ion is more stable than the second.

Q1.png

Q2.png

Q3.png

Q4.png

Q5.png

Q6.png

Attempt at the question

1. Since in the first one, +ve charge is due to bonding, not deficiency of electrons.
Draw all of the resonance structures for the second choice and see if your reasoning holds up.

2. First one can get lone pair from N.

So can the second one. Which one is most stable?

3. N can easily donate its lone pair as opposed to O.

4. O can easily affect the -ve charge density by inductive effect.

5. P can handle +ve on itself more appreciably than N.
Is that a methyl group instead of double bonded methylene on the nitrogen? If not, it looks like an ylide but you haven't drawn the carbanion. Right answer, BTW.

A1.png

I've blundered up big time. I now think the second one is more stable. :cry:

A2.png

Second one can also donate. (What's happened to me? :confused:).

Keep working on that delocalization for 1 and 2. You haven't show them all yet. Good work so far! Remember, the more delocalized the charge the more stable.

chemisttree said:
Is that a methyl group instead of double bonded methylene on the nitrogen? If not, it looks like an ylide but you haven't drawn the carbanion.

My Bad. Its carbanion. So, its possible that P can form pπ-dπ back bond.

As for 1 and 2, the latter case seems to have 3 canonical structures, which should increase their stability. Therefore, 1 and 2 are out of answer.

I noticed that the season of back bonding is showering over 4. S can also form pπ-dπ back bond to accommodate that -ve charge. And they say Electromeric effect is more effective in shifting electron density than Inductive effect.

So, the answer boils down to 3,4,5. I really need to take sleeping pills... :bugeye:

Related to Which ions exhibit greater stability: N vs O, P vs N, or S vs N?

1. What is the definition of relative stability of ions?

The relative stability of ions refers to the tendency of an ion to maintain its current state or to undergo a chemical reaction to form a more stable ion.

2. How is the relative stability of ions determined?

The relative stability of ions is determined by factors such as the size and charge of the ion, as well as the electronic configuration and the nature of the bonding within the ion.

3. Why is the relative stability of ions important in chemistry?

The relative stability of ions plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting chemical reactions. It also helps in explaining the properties and behaviors of different compounds.

4. How does the concept of relative stability of ions tie into the octet rule?

The octet rule states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to achieve a stable electron configuration with 8 valence electrons. The relative stability of ions is related to this rule as ions will form in a way that allows them to have a stable electron configuration.

5. Can the relative stability of ions change?

Yes, the relative stability of ions can change depending on the surrounding environment and conditions. For example, the introduction of a competitive ion or a change in temperature or pressure can alter the relative stability of ions in a solution.