Which job can I do with a bachelor only?

In summary, the author suggests that finding a job with a bachelor's degree in physics can be difficult, and suggests strategies for finding a job. The author also recommends seeking advice from previous graduates, speaking with professors, and networking.
user987987987
I have a bachelor in physics from the EPFL (École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) but can't to continue for a master for certain reasons.

How would you suggest to find a job with this bachelor only?

I am interested in getting a job anywhere in a French, English or German speaking country.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not enough information. Is this you? What year are you now? What is your background, and research if any? What are your interests?

In what country did you get your BS? In what country are you looking for a job?

marcusl said:
Not enough information. Is this you? What year are you now? What is your background, and research if any? What are your interests?
I have edited my post. I would love knowing your opinion.

Last edited:
The transition from a university education in a scientific discipline like physics into the non-academic workforce can be a tricky one. You have a great education. The problem is that your education (in most cases) has not given you specific qualifications the way a more professionally oriented degree may have.

Some tips that can help...
  1. Try to learn where previous graduates from your program have ended up. There's no point in blazing a trail if you don't have to. You might find some employers are very happy with these graduates and are willing to consider new applicants with similar skill sets. On top of that, this may give you some insight into what industries are generally hiring. Your university might have a Career and Placement Services office to help with this. Sometimes the physics department will track its graduates as well. You can even talk to your professors as they may have kept in touch with some students.
  2. If you can, try to speak with the prior graduates themselves. They are a part of your "network" even if only at arms length. Try to find out what they have done that's been successful.
  3. This report from the AIP is USA-specific, but it might give you some general ideas.
  4. You have to take a hard look at the skills that you've developed, or the ones that you can or want to develop moving forward. These are what you can market to potential employers. For physics graduates, these can include: programming, data analysis, statistics, network administration, electronics skills, project management, teaching, machining skills, mathematical modeling, etc. A lot can depend on the specific courses that you've taken, projects that you've been involved with, internships, part-time jobs, etc. The more information we have on details like this, the more specific people might be able to be in response to your questions.
  5. You may not find something that relates directly to your degree - at least not right away. While this can be disappointing on the surface, don't let it discourage you. Your education will help you in many ways over the course of your career. Just because you don't start your career as a "physics lab assistant" doesn't mean that you won't ever see aspects of your education again.
  6. Don't be afraid of profession-specific training. Building on the prior point, it's easy to get lost in an artificial "sunken cost" dilemma. And of course, you need to eat, so it's understandable that more education is not always an (immediate) option. But try to look at the big, long term picture and build on your education if you're not getting the kinds of positions you would like right now.

Likes user987987987

1. What types of jobs can I get with a bachelor's degree?

With a bachelor's degree, you can pursue a variety of career paths depending on your field of study. Some common options include business, education, healthcare, engineering, and technology.

2. Can I get a high-paying job with a bachelor's degree?

Yes, there are many high-paying jobs that only require a bachelor's degree. These may include roles in finance, marketing, software development, and management. It's important to research the salary range for your desired career and industry.

3. Do I need to have a specific major to get a job with a bachelor's degree?

It depends on the job you are interested in. Some careers, such as nursing or accounting, may require a specific major or coursework. However, many jobs value transferable skills and experience over a specific major, so it's important to highlight your relevant skills and experiences on your resume.

4. Are there any limitations to the types of jobs I can get with a bachelor's degree?

While a bachelor's degree can open many doors, certain industries and roles may require additional education or certifications. For example, if you want to become a doctor or lawyer, you will need to pursue advanced degrees. It's important to research the requirements for your desired career path.

5. Is a bachelor's degree enough for a successful career?

A bachelor's degree can certainly lead to a successful career, but it is not the only factor. Networking, gaining relevant experience, and continuously learning and developing new skills can also contribute to a successful career. It's important to have a well-rounded approach to building your career, rather than solely relying on your degree.