1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which one of these 3 graphs represents Hooke's law?

1. Dec 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which one obeys Hooke’s Law and why?

For the material(s) that did obey Hooke’s Law, calculate the spring constant, k. SHOW ALL WORK: listed variables, units, equations without substitutions, equations with substitutions, final answer with units!

The Green line on the graph represents the Rubberband, Blue and Red represent Spring 1 and 2 respectively.

2. Relevant equations
    F=-k(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I can tell, Hooke's law has a linear relationship, so the line would be perfectly straight. Spring 2 is almost the same as its perfect fit line, so I think it does follow the law (it's a little different due to human errors, I am thinking). Does any other graph represent Hooke's Law? They seem to deviate from their perfect fit line a lot more than spring 2. Also, to calculate the spring constant, would I have to use F=-k(x) for each of the points I gathered than find the average (I have a force/weight and displacement table as well)? The slope of the line shown is for the perfect fit so I am not sure. Thank you for your time!

Attached Files:

• dasd.png
      dasd.png
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.
    Right
    The fitted value from excel is better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook