Which one of these 3 graphs represents Hooke's law?

In summary, the conversation discusses Hooke's Law and how it applies to different materials. Spring 2 is determined to closely follow the law, while other materials may deviate more due to human error. To calculate the spring constant, the fitted value from excel is recommended instead of using individual data points.
JayLu8173

Homework Statement

Which one obeys Hooke’s Law and why?

For the material(s) that did obey Hooke’s Law, calculate the spring constant, k. SHOW ALL WORK: listed variables, units, equations without substitutions, equations with substitutions, final answer with units!

The Green line on the graph represents the Rubberband, Blue and Red represent Spring 1 and 2 respectively.

Homework Equations

F=-k(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I can tell, Hooke's law has a linear relationship, so the line would be perfectly straight. Spring 2 is almost the same as its perfect fit line, so I think it does follow the law (it's a little different due to human errors, I am thinking). Does any other graph represent Hooke's Law? They seem to deviate from their perfect fit line a lot more than spring 2. Also, to calculate the spring constant, would I have to use F=-k(x) for each of the points I gathered than find the average (I have a force/weight and displacement table as well)? The slope of the line shown is for the perfect fit so I am not sure. Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• dasd.png
    dasd.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,975
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can tell, Hooke's law has a linear relationship, so the line would be perfectly straight. Spring 2 is almost the same as its perfect fit line, so I think it does follow the law (it's a little different due to human errors, I am thinking).
Right.
They seem to deviate from their perfect fit line a lot more than spring 2.
Right
Also, to calculate the spring constant, would I have to use F=-k(x) for each of the points I gathered than find the average (I have a force/weight and displacement table as well)?
The fitted value from excel is better.

1. What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that states that the force applied to an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of deformation it undergoes. In simpler terms, it explains the relationship between the force applied and the resulting displacement of an object.

2. How is Hooke's law represented graphically?

Hooke's law can be represented graphically through a line graph, where the force applied is plotted on the x-axis and the resulting displacement is plotted on the y-axis. The resulting line will be a straight line that passes through the origin.

3. What are the three graphs that represent Hooke's law?

The three graphs that represent Hooke's law are the force-displacement graph, the stress-strain graph, and the spring constant graph. All three of these graphs show the direct proportionality between force and displacement or stress and strain.

4. How can I identify which one of the three graphs represents Hooke's law?

To identify which one of the three graphs represents Hooke's law, you can look for a linear relationship between the variables on the graph. This means that the graph will be a straight line passing through the origin, indicating the direct proportionality between the variables.

5. What are the units of measurement used in Hooke's law?

The units of measurement used in Hooke's law depend on the physical quantities being measured. In general, the force is measured in Newtons (N), displacement in meters (m), stress in Pascals (Pa), and strain in unitless values. The spring constant, also known as the stiffness constant, is measured in units of force per unit of displacement, such as N/m or N/cm.