Traditional Glossy vs. Modern Matte: Which PC Screen is Superior?

In summary, the newer matte screen is better because glare can be a distraction, but with proper lighting or an environment with less light, the glossy screen can be sharper.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Which is better: the traditional glossy screen or that newer matte screen?

Likes James Holland
Computer science news on Phys.org
I like the matte screen because glare can be a big distraction but with the proper lighting or darkened environment the glossy format would definitely be sharper.

Just like photos a matte screen is slightly fuzzier. Professional photographers like to use matte finish for clients photos to prevent the clients from making quality reprints (ala wedding pictures).

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
jedishrfu said:
but with the proper lighting or darkened environment the glossy format would definitely be sharper.
jedishrfu said:
Just like photos a matte screen is slightly fuzzier.
That's why I'm torn :confused: Which would be better for viewing fine details?

If its a desktop PC and you have a glare free environment then go with the glossy screen.

f its a laptop to be used anywhere you go or a PC in a lighted windowed environment then go with the matte. Glare can be distracting and can tire your eyes over time as they try to adjust to see the screen clearly.

If you wear polarized sunglasses then maybe glossy is okay but you should check as overall screen brightness may decrease.

In my work environment, I have one screen that's glossy and one that matte. I prefer the glossy and try to keep reflection glare to a minimum. Having both, I'm able to switch windows back and forth as needed. This wasn't by design its just what monitors they had at the time when I needed a second monitor.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and OCR
jedishrfu said:
If its a desktop PC and you have a glare free environment then go with the glossy screen.

f its a laptop to be used anywhere you go or a PC in a lighted windowed environment then go with the matte. Glare can be distracting and can tire your eyes over time as they try to adjust to see the screen clearly.

If you wear polarized sunglasses then maybe glossy is okay but you should check as overall screen brightness may decrease.

In my work environment, I have one screen that's glossy and one that matte. I prefer the glossy and try to keep reflection glare to a minimum. Having both, I'm able to switch windows back and forth as needed. This wasn't by design its just what monitors they had at the time when I needed a second monitor.
Thanks a lot. It'll be a laptop so the chances of having an environment with glare is likely, BUT I do a lot of digital art/painting, so I didn't want to compromise that use by having some screen that doesn't allow one to see everything right. I wish I had the luxury of two monitors!

Last edited:
I have a glossy laptop screen and just bought a matte filter that I can put on and off when I please (however I prefer the matte screen way more then the glossy).

I actually really like that idea (buying a filter) because I'm going with a glossy screen. I just cannot compromise sharp color and detail, but at least a removable filter would give me both.

Yes, just search anti-glare / anti-reflection filters for laptop screens and you should find a lot of options. They usually all work the same so go for the cheaper ones, but make sure you get one that does not leave a residue layer when removing the filter (that way you can take them off and on when you want). However, note that you need to take your time when putting it on, use some sort of window cleaner and make sure there is NO dust at all, otherwise you will get air bubbles. I just use a normal credit card, after I spray away the dust with some CO2 spray and window cleaner on the screen to make sure the surface is as clean as possible.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Thanks MM, I'll look into it a bit more. Looks like this is the way to go :smile:

Likes mister mishka

1. What is the difference between LCD and LED screens?

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screens use a backlight to display images, while LED (Light Emitting Diode) screens use individual LED lights to create the image. LED screens tend to have better picture quality and contrast compared to LCD screens.

2. Is a higher resolution screen always better?

A higher resolution screen means more pixels, which generally results in a clearer and more detailed image. However, the difference may not be noticeable to the average user unless they are working with high-resolution content or have a larger screen size.

3. How important is the response time of a screen?

Response time refers to how quickly a screen can change its pixels from one color to another. It is important for fast-moving content like gaming or videos, where a slower response time can result in motion blur. However, for everyday use, a response time of 5ms or less is sufficient.

4. Which is better for gaming, a TN or IPS panel?

TN (Twisted Nematic) panels have faster response times, making them better for gaming. However, IPS (In-Plane Switching) panels have better color accuracy and wider viewing angles, making them a better choice for graphic design or watching videos.

5. Can a curved screen improve my viewing experience?

Curved screens are designed to mimic the shape of the human eye, providing a more immersive viewing experience. However, the effect is more noticeable on larger screens. It ultimately comes down to personal preference, but a curved screen can enhance the viewing experience for some users.