Which universities I should apply to without a Physics GRE?

In summary, the person is in their senior year of undergrad and wants to apply for the fall-2015 session. They have a cgpa of 3.87 and have not taken the general GRE yet but plan to in December. They are looking for universities that will accept them without the physics GRE, but the other person suggests taking the physics GRE and mentions some schools that do not require it. The original person is advised to take the GRE first and not risk being automatically rejected from most universities.
clumps tim
Hi fellas,
I am in senior year of my undergrad and will be graduating next May. If I want to apply for the fall-2015 session, which universities will best fit me with my academic record?

I have a cgpa of 3.87 out of 4.00 . I have not given general GRE yet but wish to give within December, but i need a university that takes student without physics GRE because I do not have enough time to prepare for it.

any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should take the Physics GRE. A school may not *require* it, but that does not mean they won't *consider* it.

Mississippi State is the only school I know of which doesn't require it. You could look at engineering programs, they usually don't require it.

clumps tim said:
Hi fellas,
I am in senior year of my undergrad and will be graduating next May. If I want to apply for the fall-2015 session, which universities will best fit me with my academic record?

I have a cgpa of 3.87 out of 4.00 . I have not given general GRE yet but wish to give within December, but i need a university that takes student without physics GRE because I do not have enough time to prepare for it.

any suggestions?

Any school that does not require the PGRE is one that I would not wish to go to. You have plenty of time to prepare so stop making excuses and get to it.

The University of Missouri - Columbia does not require the PGRE. I know of at least one graduate student who got in without it.

clumps tim said:
Hi fellas,

any suggestions?

Take the GRE first even if you have to delay a year or study like crazy now or whatnot. Since without it I fear auto-reject from just about anywhere (unless you have perhaps published a paper of at least semi-significant note already).

1. What is the purpose of the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE, or Graduate Record Examination, is a standardized test used by many graduate programs in physics to evaluate applicants' knowledge and skills in the field. It is often required for admission to physics graduate programs and can also be used to assess scholarship potential.

2. Are there any universities that do not require the Physics GRE?

Yes, there are some universities that do not require the Physics GRE for admission to their graduate programs. However, it is important to note that these universities may still consider the Physics GRE as part of the application process or may require other standardized tests in its place.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing universities to apply to without the Physics GRE?

When choosing universities to apply to without the Physics GRE, it is important to consider the reputation and ranking of the university, the strength of their physics program, the availability of research opportunities, and the location and cost of the program.

4. Will not taking the Physics GRE affect my chances of getting into a top university?

It is possible that not taking the Physics GRE could affect your chances of getting into a top university. Many highly-ranked and competitive programs may require the Physics GRE as part of their admissions process and may consider it a strong indicator of an applicant's potential for success in their program.

5. Can I still be successful in a physics graduate program without taking the Physics GRE?

Yes, it is possible to be successful in a physics graduate program without taking the Physics GRE. While the test may be used as a factor in admissions decisions, it is not the only factor. Other aspects of your application, such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and academic background, can also be strong indicators of your potential for success in a graduate program.